November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

HATCH! We are on Day 19 (Day 20 is at 8pm tonight) and at 3:25pm the green egg named Rawr hatched! No idea what kind of chick it is, the person we got the 18 eggs from has a huge mixture of chickens and mixes. She does have a frizzle rooster and buff orpingtons too (yay! most excited about those)

The last two in the incubator. I may have to turn the incubator back on later, for a couple of the eggs under the Silkies. Two of them are far behind the others (I had to put a couple more of Evelyn's under them, since she stopped laying when I was incubating all these other babies, so there's only 7 from her).

legs different lengths (problem leg is longer)

resting after the torture

The VetRap came yesterday, and I made her a chick chair. The crooked leg is splinted and wrapped in VetRap, the legs are hobbled together and she is suspended in the chick chair.

The leg is bent horribly to the outside, right at the knee joint. I am wondering if it can even be corrected... I have never seen one this bad. I also noticed that the problem leg is quite a bit longer than the other. Wondering if this is a deformity I can't fix.
hit.gif
Going to keep trying on her though...

Jack has the same problem. One of my sweetest pullets. Always protects her little Bresse buddy with 2 gimpy legs. Super hopper.

Omg I went out to close the coop /run door and heard a rustling high above towards the ceiling. I stood still and saw a huge rat! My first encounter ever!!!! He had already eaten one egg and thankfully there are no chicks but still! How do I keep them away?!

these are my little loves "Salt and Pepper" Pepper's first baby is due 1-4-2014
they each have babies due throughout the first weeks is Jan. 2014
jumpy.gif
Lovely birds!! Can't wait to see their chicks!
Pepper is beautiful, I usually dont even like frizzles, I feel bad for them LOL do they have any trouble keeping warm? j/w

Omg I went out to close the coop /run door and heard a rustling high above towards the ceiling. I stood still and saw a huge rat! My first encounter ever!!!! He had already eaten one egg and thankfully there are no chicks but still! How do I keep them away?!

I have not dealt with them personally, but they are attracted to food. Leaving eggs in the nest might attract them(?) You could also bring their food in at night if you have a feeder that will allow you to do that..

A second egg hatched this morning! Fluffy and yellow with some wisps of black. No idea what kind... We are on Day 20 now... waiting for more to hatch or pip.

Back
Top Bottom