NPIP Certification

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CuzChickens, Aug 19, 2016.

1. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello!

I want to start hatching and selling chicks next year and I wondered, what does it take to become NPIP certified? Does it cost money? What are the Pros? What are the Cons? Also, what about becoming MG/MS free certified? Thanks for your feedback!

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi.

I saw a thread yesterday for what it takes to get NPIP certified in your state. Many have already posted rules for their state. Usually the cost is low around $50. May depend on the size of your flock.

Though I am not sure, I believe the benefits of NPIP are worth while. Especially if you are planning to sell chicks.

Through a search, I saw the thread I was actually talking about was just for egg selling regulations.

I know if you contact your local ag commissioner they can probably give you great information.

1 pro is being able to sell across state and county lines.

a con I know of for some people is only being allowed to by from other NPIP certified people and having to dispose of your deceased in a very specific manor which I believe does not include disposing of the remains in the trash. Usually either burial or burning.

I believe NPIP is a responsible thing to do and should actually make buying and selling feel a bit more secure.

I will probably pursue it here in CA by next spring as I also wish to sell a little to cover my feed cost.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by