1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

NPIP Certification

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CuzChickens, Aug 19, 2016.

1. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello!

I want to start hatching and selling chicks next year and I wondered, what does it take to become NPIP certified? Does it cost money? What are the Pros? What are the Cons? Also, what about becoming MG/MS free certified? Thanks for your feedback!

2. Hi.

I saw a thread yesterday for what it takes to get NPIP certified in your state. Many have already posted rules for their state. Usually the cost is low around $50. May depend on the size of your flock.

Though I am not sure, I believe the benefits of NPIP are worth while. Especially if you are planning to sell chicks.

Through a search, I saw the thread I was actually talking about was just for egg selling regulations.

I know if you contact your local ag commissioner they can probably give you great information.

1 pro is being able to sell across state and county lines.

a con I know of for some people is only being allowed to by from other NPIP certified people and having to dispose of your deceased in a very specific manor which I believe does not include disposing of the remains in the trash. Usually either burial or burning.

I believe NPIP is a responsible thing to do and should actually make buying and selling feel a bit more secure.

I will probably pursue it here in CA by next spring as I also wish to sell a little to cover my feed cost.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by