Nurses Post

1704133411034.png

You nurses ROCK!

I used to work housekeeping (don't feel sorry for me - I did it to be helpful, I loved the patients and I was da**ed good. My rooms ***sparkled***). I worked at a large, combination nursing/rehab facility. My "neighborhood" was in a rehab section. Lots of extra work because the patients would typically have short stays - and the rooms had to be cleaned top to bottom, nook and cranny after they left.

Every day, after our morning department meeting, I stopped at the little bistro at the front of the facility and got a cup of coffee for my floor nurse. "Two creams, no sugar". She was a very sweet gal, and I knew she didn't have time to fetch a cup of coffee. It took me an extra 2 minutes to do this for her. We became friends and stayed in contact even after she moved, for a time.

P.S. in our facility, the things that were pilfered were the patient-room rolling bed tables... by the nurses. 😁 And the thing the patients asked for were heated towels

Last edited:
You know you are a nurse when you have to leave a patient's room in order to keep from busting out laughing.

Graduated from nurses' training in 1975, retired in 2015. Started my career in OB/GYN, ended it working with my husband as his office nurse/office manager in his optometric practice. It was my gravy job working with my Dr. Honey. Before that I think I worked every branch of medicine but spent almost 7 years working in a 165 bed nursing home working with patients with memory impairments.

Did that after being caregiver to both of my parents after they developed vascular dementia so I felt that I was best suited to work with what I had the most experience in. It was the best experience in clinical medicine any nurse could ask for.

I could write a book. But my funniest memories were one night when a doctor came through doing rounds. He was just finishing up writing orders when he announced that he was out of there and asked if we girls needed anything. I walked by him and said, yeah, Haldol 5mg IM for all the nursing staff. He just laughed and said, that he understood before he left. We never got that Haldol......

Another was the night our staff psychologist came though to see a new admission. He asked me what my professional opinion was of the person and I said, yes, they're nuts. He chuckled went off with the chart to talk to the patient and came back with his face beet red. Delicacy doesn't allow me to say how the conversation went with the patient but the doctor looked at me and said 'You're right. They're nuts."

Learned early on that you don't survive being a nurse without a sense of humor.

You nurses ROCK!

I used to work housekeeping (don't feel sorry for me - I did it to be helpful, I loved the patients and I was da**ed good. My rooms ***sparkled***). I worked at a large, combination nursing/rehab facility. My "neighborhood" was in a rehab section. Lots of extra work because the patients would typically have short stays - and the rooms had to be cleaned top to bottom, nook and cranny after they left.

Every day, after our morning department meeting, I stopped at the little bistro at the front of the facility and got a cup of coffee for my floor nurse. "Two creams, no sugar". She was a very sweet gal, and I knew she didn't have time to fetch a cup of coffee. It took me an extra 2 minutes to do this for her. We became friends and stayed in contact even after she moved, for a time.

P.S. in our facility, the things that were pilfered were the patient-room rolling bed tables... by the nurses. 😁 And the thing the patients asked for were heated towels
A nurse is only as good as her support staff. I counted on my aides, housekeeping and dietary staff to be my eyes ears and nose because nurses can only spread themselves so thin.

Thank you for everything you did to help the nurses. I loved it when somebody would walk by my med cart and without a word, set a cup of coffee on it for me.

You nurses ROCK!

So many "professionals" look down on those 'below' them. It's disgusting.
I always try to let my aids know they can call me for help and unless I'm hanging a drip, I'll drop what I'm doing to help them clean a patient. (It's a good time to check wounds and bed sores too.)
Same with food and cleaning staff. I took the time to tell some transport staff about a patient's disease process one time and she acted like I told her the lottery numbers.
🤫 One place I worked had really good smothered pork chops on Friday. If I discharged a patient I would keep the curtains pulled and volunteer to take the tray into the "patient's room". She caught on and would say "just tell me what you want." 😆

Back
Top Bottom