Nutrition

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Any formulated ration will work, doesn't matter what brand.

Layers need not less than 16% protein and about 4% calcium. You can use a layer ration, pellets or crumbles.. whichever you and your pullets prefer. Or you can try a flock raiser which is 20% protein and provide oyster shell on the side. You may need to provide OS on the side even for the layer ration, but they will go through it more slowly. A little more than 16% protein is preferred for heavier bodied girls like barred rocks and the like, but even 16% SHOULD be fine as long as you don't diminish the protein by giving treats like scratch,corn, lettuce, or other low protein stuff. Specifically it's the amino acids in the protein. And feathers are made from 90% protein.

Fancy packaging or name brand is irrelevant. Read the nutrition label and pick the one with the ingredients that sound best to you. ;)

Best of all... consider fermenting, I cannot express how much less the poo stinks! :sick And the benefits have been great including increased nutrition and health, glossy feathers. Check the link in my signature line if you have time and feel free to ask questions. :D

What is the best feed I can get for my hens now that they are laying?

Welcome to the community, chickmom17! When it comes to laying hens, a complete feed provides all the necessary nutrients they need to stay healthy and produce farm fresh eggs. Adult laying hens need 38 different nutrients. Some of these nutrients are important for hen health while others are channeled directly into eggs.

A few of the most important ingredients to look for include:

- 16% protein and 3.25% calcium for day-to-day performance
- Amino acids for feathering and egg production
- Added omega-3 for added egg nutrition
- Marigold extract for rich, yellow yolks
- Calcium, manganese and trace minerals for bone and shell strength
- Vitamins A, D and E for feathering and egg production

You should make the switch to layer feed when your girls are 18 weeks old or when the first egg arrives. Gradually introduce it over 7-10 days. Little by little, mix more layer feed into the starter-grower each day. Many hens will eat the mixed feed without noticing a difference. When hens are eating both feeds, stop feeding the starter feed and make the complete switch to all layer feed. It is important to give your birds enough time to adjust to the new diet. Most birds will adjust within a couple of weeks but some can take a month or longer to fully transition to their new diet.

If you're looking for more info on switching to a layer feed, check out this article!

Back
Top Bottom