Nutty, spastic, flighty Wyandotte chick

4xhennifer

Hatching
Apr 8, 2024
I have a 2 week old BLRW that is a total nutcase. She’s constantly zooming around her brooder, knocking her flock mates around, jumping on everything and generally wreaking absolute havoc. She is definitely her own chick, that’s for sure, but I’m a little concerned about the behavior and just want to make sure there’s nothing wrong with her. She’s eating, drinking, pooping fine, but she has different behavior than her flock mates. For example, she usually forages the crumbs of food on the platform tray, rather than eat out of the food tray itself, she never hops on the roost with her sisters, she tried to bite one of the other chicks while she was sitting in my hand. She did NOT like her sitting there even though she couldn’t be bothered with me at all lol. Anytime there’s peace, she can’t wait to disrupt it. WHAT is going on with this whacko? 😂 pic for tax

Attachments

• IMG_7885.jpeg
    IMG_7885.jpeg
    452.3 KB · Views: 28
Sounds normal! We seem to get a flighty-scaredy one each batch. Also the “I can’t stop peeping” one ..morning, noon, and night. Good to see she has a lot of energy!

Seems normal. I don’t have chickens but I have ducks and I’ve had a few sassy ducklings. I had one that would just randomly start running in circles around the cage 😂

Depending on your temperatures and if you have the coop and/or run (or another secure enclosure) ready, you could put them out for a bit each day. At 2 weeks they get pretty bored with nothing but a brooder to sit around in. My nutcases were all pecking at a corner of the brooder wall and making tiny pockmarks in the wood :rolleyes: before the weather was agreeable enough for them to start having outings.

Depending on your temperatures and if you have the coop and/or run (or another secure enclosure) ready, you could put them out for a bit each day. At 2 weeks they get pretty bored with nothing but a brooder to sit around in. My nutcases were all pecking at a corner of the brooder wall and making tiny pockmarks in the wood :rolleyes: before the weather was agreeable enough for them to start having outings.
I have a travel coop ready for them to go outside and the temps are already in the upper 70s (but feels like 90- Im in SoCal!) how long can I let them hang out outside each time? Also, I’m very worried now that this girl is a boy lol. She (or he) has been acting very roostery the last couple days. Really hoping I’m wrong but she is the biggest in the bunch and her legs are enormous. :-/

I have a travel coop ready for them to go outside and the temps are already in the upper 70s (but feels like 90- Im in SoCal!) how long can I let them hang out outside each time? Also, I’m very worried now that this girl is a boy lol. She (or he) has been acting very roostery the last couple days. Really hoping I’m wrong but she is the biggest in the bunch and her legs are enormous. :-/
If it's upper 70s they can stay out for a few hours (if not the whole day), though to be safe it's best to ease them into it - like 1 hour the first day, and if they handle it well then 2 the next day.

Probably impossible to sex at 2 weeks old but you can post photos to the What Breed or Gender forum at maybe week 4-6, and see what folks think.

If it's upper 70s they can stay out for a few hours (if not the whole day), though to be safe it's best to ease them into it - like 1 hour the first day, and if they handle it well then 2 the next day.

Probably impossible to sex at 2 weeks old but you can post photos to the What Breed or Gender forum at maybe week 4-6, and see what folks think.
Thank you so much!!

Back
Top Bottom