NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. HSCMorgans

HSCMorgans Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Bath, NY Steuben County
    Hi there!!

Hadnt caught this thread before... Located in Bath, NY Will need to keep an eye on this thread... its always fun knowing there are others locally that love there chickens like we do!!!

We are looking for Laying hens to add to our flock... Must be good layers

Angela

2. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

I am here and just have been insanely busy with the family. So, right now we have:
    Americauna - black & blue
    Australorp
    Araucana - rumpless and tufted
    porcelain D'Uccle
    lots of backyard specials [​IMG]
    India blue peafowl
    red-golden pheasant
    normal & white Mandarin ducks
    and a lonely male Temminck Tragopan (hoping his mate will be here BEFORE breeding season)
    pure/papered Nigerian dwarf goat kids due April
    Nigerian/Pygmy (Pygorian?) kids due April
    I will be hatching once they actually get laying again and will have hatching eggs available too. Hope everyone is doing well in this crazy NY weather and now that I have chatted with Cass I will certainly make my silly phone give me notifications when we post here! Miss you all!

Annie

3. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    I'd be cautious... just me though. I'm sure others have had success! Make sure they have very high positive feedback.
    Welcome, neighbor! Canandaigua here. :) I've got Red Sex links, production reds, tetra tints and black australorps. I've been happy with those breeds so far.

4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I will say at the station I worked at packages are tossed. Not treated gently. They simply don't have the time to handle things as delicately as we'd like. On the other hand I've seen packages so poorly wrapped you would not believe.
    Some people use Scotch or masking tape. Some put pictures with glass in bags.
    So marking something fragile does not guarantee it will be handled any differently than another package. Though I will confess I've never seen hatching eggs come through.

5. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Exprinex is a pour on wormer for cattle. I use an eye dropper between the shoulder blades my like you would a cat or dog. I also do this a night with the head light while they are on the roost. I just go down the row and apply it to each bird. Chickens don't see good in the dark. Neither do I. It's a good thing too. I once turned on the light and there was DW with cold cream smeared all over her face and hair in rollers. Nearly gave me a heart attack. [​IMG]

The head light of course allows me to measure the right dosage. You can buy this at the feed store and it may seem expensive but I store it in the fridge. You can get the eye dropper at the feed store too. ( Or just take it out of the babies ear medicine bottle. Don't forget to rinse it out when you put it back. [​IMG] )

I also put it in the grandkids milk in case they pick up cooties at school. No one knows so it's ok. [​IMG]

Seriously I haven't had a problem with mites that I've noticed. An ounce of prevention you know.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I expect to but not for another week.

7. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    While I can't disagree with much of this, I'm not sure the insurance would help. If you send anything Express mail, you're already covered for the first $100 of value. Plus if the package is late you get a refund. SO if the seller charges YOU for postage and it's late make sure THEY file the claim but send the money to YOU. Only one seller ever did this for me.

Just make sure you know the rules of insurance because the eggs may NOT be covered.

8. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    Ooh! What would you want for them?

9. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I don't have any, but if I did I'd recommend my Birchen Marans. They've been laying very well all winter. With no light nor heat. They're amazing. I'll also recommend the Sussex from Marq..whatever. I've got one hen from her and if she's any example of what they are like, they are good layers too. I only have the one and she is in with the BM's.

I will say in all fairness that they are out everyday. Not run, nothing. I just open the door to the coop and they do whatever they please.

This isn't the coop, their is right behind this one, but it's very much the same. You get the point. I don't know why but they must be content cuz they lay very well. Big snow and I got 4 for 5 hens. The Sussex usually lays one.
    [​IMG]

10. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    I stole this picture from a Facebook page. They're grey peacock or Burmese peacock pheasants, and they're glorious. *sigh*

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by