NY chicken lover!!!!

The weather preparation is starting here. I'm thankful that we'll have a couple nice days before the weather turns. We're getting an estimate for redoing our barn roof and wondering if we can sneak that in before snow flies. Unfortunately it requires some reframing so it might be a long expensive job.

The chickens are happy with the weather. I heard the first crows from the cockerel I intend to keep. I'm not sure if I am keeping all 5 pullets. I probably will see how they lay this winter and decide in the spring. The winter keepers are at 11 right now and at least 1 is a boy - possibly 3. I hate having more than 1 rooster at a time with so few hens. I have 7 cockerels slated for the freezer in November. I could always add a couple to that.

Kids keep me busy. I hope all is well with y'all.

Rancher, hugs to you. I hope your kids are taking good care of you.

It's been a while since I processed a chicken. What age is good for barnyard mix cockerels? They're crowing so I don't want to wait until 6 months old (end of December) but I want to get something worth processing. I have them on meatbird feed.

It's been a while since I processed a chicken. What age is good for barnyard mix cockerels? They're crowing so I don't want to wait until 6 months old (end of December) but I want to get something worth processing. I have them on meatbird feed.
As boys mature at 4 - 6 months ..they might be big enough at 5 months ..But I think they would be bigger at 6 months if you can wait

Talk me down, friends. I'm considering getting rid of all of my chickens. I have 10 cockerels under 6 months, 5 pullets under 6 months, and 3 hens of various ages. The prep needed for the coop before winter is frustrating. It'll be fine if I don't get to it all, but I really should do more. I really DON'T want to process 10 cockerels. I don't even want to process 1. I can. I've done it many times. I'm just tired of freezing fingers while processing and I don't wanna. The hens are beginning to molt, and the pullets are close to laying. I don't need many eggs and I'm still getting more than we eat.

I'm tired. If I didn't have chickens I could get to the massive amount of garden work I should be doing. Craigslist is not ideal. People want the hens for cheap and either don't want the roosters or don't want to pay for them. I've had good responses in the past, but my last listing for all of these guys didn't work.

Did I mention I'm tired? I have no help. Kids aren't interested unless I pay them. Husband says they're my chickens. So I wanna use some curse words and take back my barn. But, I'm probably just tired and dreading preparations for winter and processing day.

Talk me down, friends. I'm considering getting rid of all of my chickens. I have 10 cockerels under 6 months, 5 pullets under 6 months, and 3 hens of various ages. The prep needed for the coop before winter is frustrating. It'll be fine if I don't get to it all, but I really should do more. I really DON'T want to process 10 cockerels.
How much do you want for all ten boys I might know someone who might buy them to eat
I'm tired. If I didn't have chickens I could get to the massive amount of garden work I should be doing.
Can you put the chickens in the garden ? they help me clean up ... Or is it harvesting ?
Make the kids and Husband help with the garden stuff ..they benefit from that ...Of course they will complain ..ration their computer time if you have to .
Or say to hubby I may have to hire someone to help me ?

Did I mention I'm tired? I have no help.
Sorry..we all get that way sometimes
it could just be a bad week ..Are you getting enough sleep and Vitamins?

So I wanna use some curse words and take back my barn. But, I'm probably just tired and dreading preparations for winter
Can you do a little each day ? or figure out a way to do less ?
I have 2 things Ive been working on as I can get to it .
A huge pile of road pebbles that the sweeper dumped here for us and mulch from the trees we had cut down last fall ..it has been there for a while
Then get things done in the garden
Potatoes to dig squash to harvest .. then clean up .
Leaves to collect for the winter bedding ..Im sure there are other stuff ...

Can you do a little each day ? or figure out a way to do less ?
I have 2 things Ive been working on as I can get to it .
A huge pile of road pebbles that the sweeper dumped here for us and mulch from the trees we had cut down last fall ..it has been there for a while
Then get things done in the garden
Potatoes to dig squash to harvest .. then clean up .
Leaves to collect for the winter bedding ..Im sure there are other stuff ...
Thanks, all. I am doing a little each day. I am getting it done and should be able to get it all done before heavy snow fall.
You're right, it's a bit of frustration and blues and I have a lot to be thankful for. Once I shared this I already felt better, and to have your encouragement helped more. I might still take the winter off from chickens. I can figure out a better coop layout in spring that will make some chores easier.

Glad you are feeling a bit better. Winter is so hard and either you want it or you don’t. I get your frustrations. I have been slowly working on better lay outs for my
coops and each year it gets a little easier.

Back
Top Bottom