NY chicken lover!!!!

Hi, I'm Sonia from NYC, live in Corona (Queens), NY, and have 2 cats and 7 chickens. I purchased 7 6-week old chicks from a woman in Long Island, she told me they were all pullets but turns out 4 are cockerels. I can't have roosters where I live, so can't keep them, and sadly need to rehome them. I would like to sell them to recover some of what I've spent on them, but have learned that roosters are very hard to sell and many are available for free, so I just want to find them a good home. 2 are Laced Polish, a buff and a bearded golden, and 1 is a blue Silkie. They hatched on July 1. I also want to get more pullets but can't find a hatchery or store (that ships) that have any available at this time.

Would also like to meet other chicken owners/lovers that live in or near NYC.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FkUYaFyypX5c4fam7

Hello- we’re moving abroad and therefore have to say goodbye to our beloved egg laying pets. We’re looking for a good home, so not giving away to just anybody as we want to make sure they do not end up in soup or fighting arena.

located in Westchester, New York. Happy to work out transportation/delivery together.
  • 6 bantam pullets (polish, silky, cochin, serama, easter-egger, d’uccle)
  • Coop
  • Run (omlet fence)
  • Automatic night-door with timer
  • Heater for winter
  • Waterer with float valve
  • 2 spill-free feeder-buckets
  • New PDZ bags
  • 50lbs feed bag
I would really love to get them. <3

Gotta love it when the weather forecast for your specific town says a low of 43 and you go out to let your girls out into the run in the morning and find it's really 22!!!! They don't seem to mind much as long as I bring their breakfast, but I sure do... Not ready for this yet, it's the big down side to living up here.

Had a vacation in Tennessee once when I was younger, NY mornings like this make me wish I had stayed 🥶

NNYchick - Great pictures you should submitted them to the BYC calendar ...love the bantam wheaten Ameraucanas girls very striking
Thank You I’m quite smitten with these Ameraucanas.
Beautiful chickens and photos. Where in NY are you located. I'm on Corona, NY (Queens).
Thank you. I’m in the North County in the western foothills of the Adirondacks. About 8 hrs from NYC.
Gotta love it when the weather forecast for your specific town says a low of 43 and you go out to let your girls out into the run in the morning and find it's really 22!!!! They don't seem to mind much as long as I bring their breakfast, but I sure do... Not ready for this yet, it's the big down side to living up here.

Had a vacation in Tennessee once when I was younger, NY mornings like this make me wish I had stayed 🥶
I hear ya I’m not ready either. All summer on the weekends I’ve been going out with my coffee in the morning and sitting with the chickens while they have breakfast, but now it’s too cold. We have had frost a couple mornings now.
Today we winterized the coop, we put the tarp over the run, my husband needed to redo the people door to the main coop because he built it too tight to the ground so after a couple of snow storms it didn’t open well and would get icy, I needed a longer roost installed in the silkie coop (it only took 3 years but they are finally roosting) and some more lights put up. Only things left is put up the plastic panels on the large windows and pull out and clean the heated dog bowls.

Hi, I'm Sonia from NYC, live in Corona (Queens), NY, and have 2 cats and 7 chickens. I purchased 7 6-week old chicks from a woman in Long Island, she told me they were all pullets but turns out 4 are cockerels. I can't have roosters where I live, so can't keep them, and sadly need to rehome them. I would like to sell them to recover some of what I've spent on them, but have learned that roosters are very hard to sell and many are available for free, so I just want to find them a good home. 2 are Laced Polish, a buff and a bearded golden, and 1 is a blue Silkie. They hatched on July 1. I also want to get more pullets but can't find a hatchery or store (that ships) that have any available at this time.

Would also like to meet other chicken owners/lovers that live in or near NYC.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FkUYaFyypX5c4fam7
Welcome! I used to live in woodside, queens, back then all I could fit in my tiny apartment was a tiny fish tank, lol. Now I have chickens and an indoor/outdoor cat!

Rehoming roos might be a little difficult in NYC... have you tried posting on craigslist?

Welcome! I used to live in woodside, queens, back then all I could fit in my tiny apartment was a tiny fish tank, lol. Now I have chickens and an indoor/outdoor cat!

Rehoming roos might be a little difficult in NYC... have you tried posting on craigslist?

Thank you. Where do you live now? I would like to meet other chicken owners that live in or near NYC. I posted on Facebook and a woman from L.I. wanted to take my 2 Polish and 1 Silkie rooster for free, I think so that she can breed them with her chickens to sell. I haven't tried posting on Craigslist yet but I'll probably do that.

Thank you. Where do you live now? I would like to meet other chicken owners that live in or near NYC. I posted on Facebook and a woman from L.I. wanted to take my 2 Polish and 1 Silkie rooster for free, I think so that she can breed them with her chickens to sell. I haven't tried posting on Craigslist yet but I'll probably do that.
I’m about 1.5hrs north in Orange county. My friend in nyc keeps chickens too, maybe there’s a fb community for nyc backyard chicken keepers?

Well yesterday I was telling my husband that I needed to get nest box for the Ameraucana's because they should be laying soon and are getting red in the face. So he built and installed the nest box yesterday. Today I find our first blue egg.
8AF1FEF3-298E-4E8A-A6BB-353C0A7B3AE2.jpeg
3B881C69-79FB-4990-A492-1781202DFC39.jpeg

Hi all! I'm Becka from the Lake Erie region of NY midway between Buffalo and Erie PA. I've got a small flock of 13 pullets/hens and 3 cockerels. It's a mix of 2 lavender orpington (1 hen and 1 roo) 1 BSL, 3 cochin bantum hens, 1 cochin bantam roo, 2 bantam silkies (1 hen and 1 roo), 3 buff orpington pullets and 4 EE pullets. I just started with chickens this spring and my girls are just starting to lay. They say chickens are the gateway to other animals, but for me it was turkeys. Although I don't have any now because we harvested them a few weeks ago.

Back
Top Bottom