NY chicken lover!!!!

Hello everyone been quite a while since I posted been busy with work and the animals. Canned like a mad fool this summer plus just put up some meat birds got some more to do this coming week and in a couple weeks will do the meat turkeys they are getting huge about 40 lbs and let me tell you they are great foragers. All my other animals are doing great chickens are freeloading again but the older girls are molting and the new ones are just starting to lay. Rancher how is the wife you and her are in my prayers. I hope everyone else is good. It is snowing here tonight am so not ready for this cold .

We canned a lot too. Mostly sauce since I don't have a pressure scanner we can only do limited acids foods. What did you can?

Snow?! Where in NY are you?

Would love some! What kind are they? I think I had the pearl grey.

I bought mine at Frog Pond Farms Bainbridge NY, large open air produce/greenhouse/kinda farmers market. One family runs it, its cheaper than a grocery store, especially fruits and vegs. in bulk, and they do carry local produce when in season, breads, cheese. The pickles in the barrels are awesome, the half sours are unreal fresh and crispy. I think I paid $5ea. for the guinea$ there. It's pretty cool place to shop. You put all your stuff on the counter and the owner rattles off the prices like a auctioneer, adds it up all in his head, uses a metal cash box, no register. Then he has many helpers carrying stuff to your car even if you say you can get it they carry it anyway. The place is usually busy no matter the time of day or if it is raining.

$5 isn't too much for already hatched chicks. I am not sure what kind they are. When I bought the eggs 2yrs ago I didn't know there was more than one breed of guineas. Lol. I will ask him if I can get a hold of him. Are you far from Syracuse area? Or would I have to ship them to you?

$5 isn't too much for already hatched chicks. I am not sure what kind they are. When I bought the eggs 2yrs ago I didn't know there was more than one breed of guineas. Lol. I will ask him if I can get a hold of him. Are you far from Syracuse area? Or would I have to ship them to you?

Between Binghamton and Oneonta. How much do you think they would be shipped?
$5 is a lot when most die on you, then the ones that live play chicken in the road. Frog Pond has a list of when they are getting certain birds, chickens, ducks, turkeys, guineas, they don't always come in and I missed them last couple years, when I wanted to just try a few. They carry the basic breeds, and I saw they had Tetra Tints chicks last yr. (cross between a Rhode Island Red male and a White leghorn female) so they must get them from Mt. Healthy Hatchery, as this is the only place I found that carries Tetra Tints.

We canned a lot too. Mostly sauce since I don't have a pressure scanner we can only do limited acids foods. What did you can?

Snow?! Where in NY are you?

I have a pressure canner so I canned pumpkin, strawberries, apples, blueberries, blackberries, broccoli, cauliflower, beans, peas, sauce, salsa, and of course some of my meat birds I also froze about 1/2 of everything so have this stuff also frozen. I ended up doing 125 quarts of sauce alone.

As far as the snow I live up north just outside of Boonville in snow country actually it is a little late this year usually see it beginning to mid October

Between Binghamton and Oneonta. How much do you think they would be shipped?
$5 is a lot when most die on you, then the ones that live play chicken in the road. Frog Pond has a list of when they are getting certain birds, chickens, ducks, turkeys, guineas, they don't always come in and I missed them last couple years, when I wanted to just try a few. They carry the basic breeds, and I saw they had Tetra Tints chicks last yr. (cross between a Rhode Island Red male and a White leghorn female) so they must get them from Mt. Healthy Hatchery, as this is the only place I found that carries Tetra Tints.

My Guineas didn't play in the road. HOWEVER I had a chicken hatch them and raise them. THAT might be the difference. The chickens don't go by the road AT ALL. The ducks? They are dumb enough to try and play chicken with the cars on the road. Some folks swerve around them, but I have lost a duck to cars.

So sorry about your ducks ...they do tend to wander ...& they made those choices to be there ...too bad the idiot driver couldnt have been more careful .
That is a big bumble foot ..got pics ?

SORRY ABOUT YOUR DUCKS BUT WHEN YOU CONSIDER FOLKS WILL RUN OVER HUMANS AND TAKE OFF ONE CAN HARDLY EXPECT THEM TO CARE ABOUT ANIMALS.
rant.gif

If anyone is planing on buying guinea keets don't make the mistake I made. I spent a lot of money on them, and over fed them. They just kept eating and eating, and I kept their feed bowl full. It killed all but my male. Overfeeding them KILLS them. I ended up buying some more after learning this. Then they all got hit in the road eventually after they were full grown. I would like to get some more, but I don't think I can talk my wife into it.
rant.gif
$$$.

I DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS OVER EATHING THING. GOOD THING IT DON'T HAPPEN WITH HUMANS OR I'D BE DEAD LONG AGO.
lau.gif
ESPECIALLY AT HALLOWEEN TIME.
Hi how long does it take for chicks to grow up?? If anyone knows can you please private massage me
WELL NOW I'VE DATED A FEW CHICKS IN MY TIME AND THEY NEVER GREW UP.
IT DEPENDS ON THE BREED SOMETIMES OR THE LINE. MY COLUMBIAN ROCKS TAKE LONGER THAN MOST.

Sorry AQHA
hugs.gif
You did what you could.

I'm annoyed because I still haven't been able to do the bumblefoot surgery. Someone stole my scalpel for something and it's missing, and it would appear someone threw out my vet wrap, so now I have to go shopping before I can do it. It looks like it'll be Tuesday before I can do the surgery, poor Lemon.
MAY I SUGGEST A USED/FLEA MARKET MEDICINE CABINET TO STORE SUPPLIES?

Hello everyone been quite a while since I posted been busy with work and the animals. Canned like a mad fool this summer plus just put up some meat birds got some more to do this coming week and in a couple weeks will do the meat turkeys they are getting huge about 40 lbs and let me tell you they are great foragers. All my other animals are doing great chickens are freeloading again but the older girls are molting and the new ones are just starting to lay. Rancher how is the wife you and her are in my prayers. I hope everyone else is good. It is snowing here tonight am so not ready for this cold .

WELL GOOD GARDEN O' PEAS! I WAS WONDERING WHERE YOU'VE BEEN. HOW ARE YOUR C. ROCKS? I SENT YOU A PM I THINK.
I would think the garage would be the worst place... it would echo ...The basement should be good & sound proof longs they arent standing outside your house .
I dont even think I heard mine crow in the cellar ...my son who has his room down there did ...LOL
WELL NOW I'VE NEVER HAD ONE IN THE BASEMENT BUT HERE IT'D BE RIGHT UNDER OUR BEDROOM. IN THE GARAGE AREA IT DOES GET LOUD. AT LEAST FOR THE BANTAM B. LEGHORN AND SILKIES I HAD THERE ONCE.

I have a pressure canner so I canned pumpkin, strawberries, apples, blueberries, blackberries, broccoli, cauliflower, beans, peas, sauce, salsa, and of course some of my meat birds I also froze about 1/2 of everything so have this stuff also frozen. I ended up doing 125 quarts of sauce alone.

As far as the snow I live up north just outside of Boonville in snow country actually it is a little late this year usually see it beginning to mid October
COURSE YOU KNOW YOU DON'T NEED A P. COOKER FOR EVERYTHING BUT I DO WANT ONE, JUST CUZ. YOU CAN'T BE TO CAREFUL ABOUT THESE THINGS RIGHT?

IN OTHER NEWS. WHEN DW TOOK ME TO MEET UP FOR THE TRIP TO WEST POINT SAW TWO FOXES CROSSING THE ROAD DOWN THE ROAD.
I DID HEAR ONE AND SAW ONE RUNNING DOWN THE ROAD A FEW NIGHTS AGO. I HAD THE WINDOW OPEN SINCE IT WAS SO HOT. DW HAS BEEN VERY COLD ALL THE TIME. I NOW SLEEP UPSTAIRS SINCE IV'E BEEN SICK WITH A COLD.
I CAN'T SAY WHAT I'LL DO ABOUT THE FOXES WHEREEVER THEY ARE.
I'VE HAD TO KEEP THE CHICKENS IN THE HALF HOOPS COOPS AND THAT'S NOT GOOD. I DO LET BIG DELORES AND HER GANG OUT FOR A BIT IN THE AFTERNOON JUST BEFORE DARK SOMETIMES WHEN I CAN KEEP AN EYE ON THINGS.

I THINK I'VE KILLED ALL THE SQUIRRELS. I HAVEN'T SEEN ANY OF LATE.

I'VE CONSIDERED GUINEAS BUT AM JUST NOT SURE HOW I'D DEAL WITH THEM.

SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I'M AWAY. CAN'T SHUT UP. BETCHA WISH MY FINGERS HAD A SORE THROAT TOO.
lau.gif

OH, ALMOST FORGOT. MET TWO LADIES AT TSC TODAY, (IHAD TO GET FEED BAD) ONE LADY MOVED HERE FROM MO. AND I GAVE HER MY CARD WITH BYC ON THE BACK.
THE OTHER NEEDED AN UPDATE ON NY CHICKEN LOVERS THREAD. HOPE THEY DROP IN.

OKAY, TA, TA FOR NOW. LOVE YA,

RANCHER

Last edited:
I have guineas!!! Love them. We have 3 we are keeping through the winter, our coop is being worked on so they're in my garage this week lol. We grew them and sold a bunch, they are grey, we will get a few other colored hatchlings in the spring and hatch eggs from the pair. They're awesome birds accept for their love of the street... They do it because they walk the tree/ grass/ brush line and there's a hole where the driveway is so they walk out. One was snatched by and owl. 2 by some sort of canid and one got sick and disappeared but mostly they are still alive and well and awesome. We went from half a dozen ticks a day to none in 2 months. We've had them penned a few weeks and have seen about a dozen ticks.... So they do their job very well. Ours were about $5-$6? From
A local family farm. Healthy keets!! Still on the look out for pullet chicks this month, found a few that will hopefully work out this week or next. Anyone know of anyone or place that has anything in tioga/ broom/chemung... Or nearby county's?
Sorry to hear about all the sad things going on recently, I hope everyone's fall is good and stays that way ;) love the duckling pics, why do they have to be so cute!!? ;)

their names are Bernadette she's a hen, Buster Keeton is the big 'rooster' & Daisy is possibly a hen but I don't know, I swear I hear it make a female sound once but its the quietest guinea I have ever met and looks a bit feminine.., so we just call him Daisy lol.

Back
Top Bottom