NY chicken lover!!!!

Hi,

Just curious if any long time owners of egg layers think this fall is any different in production than other years. I've had a couple people tell me that they've never had their chickens stop laying so early and so drastically.

I broke down and put in a light when my 1 egg from 6 hens went down to zero. My hens are all new in 2014 but expected at least 2-3 eggs a day by now. I didn't think I'd be buying eggs in late November but that's what I had to do.
Yes mine have not laid in over a week. Of course 2 are finishing up a molt & another just started molting. Seems with the change of weather to cold to warm to cold again the wx has the hens messed up on what they need to do

Well I'm beginning to feel somewhat better but not great.

It's hard to say no to a grandchild that when asked who they love more, mommy or daddy says "Gramma!" As for the Grandson everyone says he looks like yours truly.

As for Egg laying, a couple of my girls have started back up. EE's both. Big Delores is laying again. Some of the new girl Dels and C. Rocks are laying too. Still not enough for the number hens I have.

I've noticed to many of the C. Rocks are roos. They mature slower than other breeds but are bigger. The BR's and older C. Rocks were never good layers so I'm not surprised they're not laying.

As for Oyster shell I like to toss it into the feed now and then. This way the dusty part isn't wasted. There's all kinds of ways to skin that cat.

Anyone else getting the thaw? I'm liking it and so are the birds. I might be able to get that run up after all.

Yup!! Our electrified pasture was a muddy mess, so I moved it again today--voila!! Fresh, green grass--STILL! Love it and the chickens went wild!
Loving this fencing--I just kind of move it like a rotating clock around my shed/coop so the ground gets a break from chickens scratching!!

Anyone else getting the thaw? I'm liking it and so are the birds. I might be able to get that run up after all.
Yeah, warm, snow melted,
sad.png
, I'm on vacation and was looking forward to the snow for deer hunting.
Chickens are loving it though, think they spent the entire day outside.

I lost my first bird to an owl. Son came in and said there was a big bird in the yard. Flew into a tree and then across the street. Didn't look like a hawk to me so got the binoculars. Owl. Well then later we found what it had been snacking on. My duck hen. It's lucky I like owls.

Back
Top Bottom