NY chicken lover!!!!

If you already have a vet & some knowledge yourself ...sometimes they will work with you.
Mine was willing to give me antibiotic for a respiratory infection ...once I knew the dosage ..he never saw the chicken
Great Idea ! Lets talk about it next year ...Im sure they need volunteers
thank you Grandma Chick, sometimes just a person listening who has gone through feeling so helpless and can give a little support is great help, not always looking for an answer.
So thank you. :)

Last edited:
Just checking in real quick. Trying to skim over all the posts but there are over 100 to catch up on..Not sure what I have been missing....Been very busy working mornings at the fair...10 days done, 2 more to go. My feather babies have been neglected a little bit while I've been at the fair..DD had been a big help. Have been bringing back some goodies from the booth almost everyday. I feel bad. When I get home all I want to do is take a nap..The turkeys are especially not happy that they aren't getting the attention that they want. ...Kids start back to school on Tuesday...The house is a wreck. DH can't seem to help out, but that is a vent for another day. Once things get back to a normal routine I need to get the coops stripped and cleaned and start winter prep. ..

...Where did the summer go... :barnie
summer flew by too fast this year!

Lisa523...I'm sorry you felt ignored about your question. I did read your post and had nothing to offer you in terms of advice because I really don't know what is wrong with your sick bird. We are self taught here about illness and injuries because we have to figure things out as they happen. We share our knowledge when others post about things.

I realize that. I but we are all from ny, lets support eachother.

Pyxis, glad your kitty is better! Lisa, I'm sorry to hear about your chicken. Poor sweet girl!

We got back from The Fair too. We weren't even going because I was boycotting the lack of chickens this year. What a sad situation for the 4-H kids and all the small family farms/homesteads. We saw the chicks and you couldn't even handle them! Sad sort as it's such an education for kids. I'm glad our little girl and any child or adult that will walk through our door will get quite the education when they're here. I still need to read a bit more though I'm sure It will be more of a hands on learning experience for us.   Was anyone sad to see no chickens in the poultry area? I couldn't walk in. I could see from walking by that it was very empty even with the bunnies. The Fair just wasn't the same for us this year. 

Thank you.i cant say she is on the road to recovery...too early atm to tell.
It was very sad to see no poultry this year at the fair.

Morning all. Another beautiful cool morning. The hawk was somewhere on my property as I heard it screeching when I let the cheeps out. The Duke stood guard while the girls ran out and under the coop. He always sees the predators before I do. It must be gone now as they are busy making lots of egg laying noise and poking around the run.

Note to self...do not trim nails and feathers on silkies after they have eaten watermelon! I wasn't thinking and decided to do that while Legolas and family were out. I got splattered on 3 times. It was disgusting. Their butt were a mess as well cause the watermelon went straight through! I finished the job then stripped in the cellar and dashed upstairs to clean up and putt on fresh clothes. Won't do that again!

Anyone use Adams flea and tick spray on their birds? How much do you use if you do and how well does it work?

Gramma...I just use the Diller green bean recipe from ball. Works great, if you can keep the kids from eating a whole jar in one sitting!

Rancher...I get my turkey/game bird pellets at the feed store. Poulan brand. I can still eat my eggs feeding them this. There are many feeds I can't use cause whatever is in it affects the eggs and I have an allergic reaction to them.

Harvesting more tomatoes today and finishing up the baby gifts. Now that it's cooler I can go back to finishing my nephews blanket.

Have a wonderful day!

Good morning. Happy Labor Day weekend. I'm probably keeping the chickens cooped today. I believe one of my pullets is laying outside somewhere. She is my most skittish and I have found the other two laying in the nest but not her. We're going to have many friends over today, so this will also keep them settled. It's a big coop, so it shouldn't be too rough on them.

One of my WL has started laying. They are only like 3 months old. Thought pullets didn't start until 5-6 months? Oh well I have a buyer waiting for white eggs so he should be happy. He won't eat colorful eggs, says they taste strange. ?? I thought they all tasted the same no matter color. Again with the strange shell from her. It was soft, not broke this time, with yolk on the outside. Hope her factory fixes it's self soon, kinda yucky cleaning goo out of the nest.

O
 Oh Yeah, not pleasant................................. especially if you don't realize it has a soft shell & pick it up. YUK !!  but I did chuckle to myself when I read your post.  :lau  Reminded me of the first time I found a soft shelled egg, when I picked it up it moved................................. OMG ! I jumped, it hit the ground and the girls had a nice snack.   :lau :lau   Too Funny !
so horrible! !! I can't imagine an egg moving in my hand. I would have lost it. Lol. I love chickens though. They are a great start to homesteading. Plus the kids do the cleaning for me.

Morning all. Another beautiful cool morning. The hawk was somewhere on my property as I heard it screeching when I let the cheeps out. The Duke stood guard while the girls ran out and under the coop. He always sees the predators before I do. It must be gone now as they are busy making lots of egg laying noise and poking around the run.

Note to self...do not trim nails and feathers on silkies after they have eaten watermelon! I wasn't thinking and decided to do that while Legolas and family were out. I got splattered on 3 times. It was disgusting. Their butt were a mess as well cause the watermelon went straight through! I finished the job then stripped in the cellar and dashed upstairs to clean up and putt on fresh clothes. Won't do that again!

Anyone use Adams flea and tick spray on their birds? How much do you use if you do and how well does it work?

Gramma...I just use the Diller green bean recipe from ball. Works great, if you can keep the kids from eating a whole jar in one sitting!

Rancher...I get my turkey/game bird pellets at the feed store. Poulan brand. I can still eat my eggs feeding them this. There are many feeds I can't use cause whatever is in it affects the eggs and I have an allergic reaction to them.

Harvesting more tomatoes today and finishing up the baby gifts. Now that it's cooler I can go back to finishing my nephews blanket.

Have a wonderful day!
I've a friend who is allergic to commercial eggs. Can't say why, but he eats my eggs with no trouble.
Just checking in real quick. Trying to skim over all the posts but there are over 100 to catch up on..Not sure what I have been missing....Been very busy working mornings at the fair...10 days done, 2 more to go. My feather babies have been neglected a little bit while I've been at the fair..DD had been a big help. Have been bringing back some goodies from the booth almost everyday. I feel bad. When I get home all I want to do is take a nap..The turkeys are especially not happy that they aren't getting the attention that they want. ...Kids start back to school on Tuesday...The house is a wreck. DH can't seem to help out, but that is a vent for another day. Once things get back to a normal routine I need to get the coops stripped and cleaned and start winter prep. ..

...Where did the summer go...
barnie.gif
Went to the Fair again yesterday with DD and her boyfriend. It was soooooo hoooot. I'd paid for the all day ride ticket but only went on the Tilt a whirl. $20 ride. I got nauseas. I didn't eat my eggs and toast before I left and after having gotten sick from the first day at the Fair all that greasy food didn't look appetizing.

DD was upset there were not chickens. Don't know why as she's the last one to help take care of them.

Saw Sawyer Fredericks and he was good, though he would have been better with a back up band. The heat made it tough though.

Saw the soap Lady too, but didn't buy any soap this year. She and her husband remember me of course and I wonder if I'm viewed as that freaky person who's perceived as a little off. If you know what I mean. I buy her soaps because they're good and cheaper than elsewhere. $20 for five bars. I have plenty for awhile anyhow. Having grown up poor I have a thing for soap.
lol.png

One of my WL has started laying. They are only like 3 months old. Thought pullets didn't start until 5-6 months? Oh well I have a buyer waiting for white eggs so he should be happy. He won't eat colorful eggs, says they taste strange. ?? I thought they all tasted the same no matter color. Again with the strange shell from her. It was soft, not broke this time, with yolk on the outside. Hope her factory fixes it's self soon, kinda yucky cleaning goo out of the nest.

The egg color thing is all psychological I think. Europeans like the brown eggs. I have a customer from Bosnia that even said don't wash the eggs. I'm sure you know your soft shell is due to not enough calcium in her diet. While the feeds say there is enough that is not true. Give her a little oyster shell grit and she should be fine.

In other news I've someone coming to pick up five C. Rocks I posted. 2 roosters and 3 hens. I'm working up to giving up the chickens starting with the older ones. I just had a friend here who needed a chick for her lone chick and I gave her a C. Rock chick and two EE's. I am tired and Metellas post has me down.

I think the Hermit down the road may have the right idea. I've tried to talk to him and offered eggs and jelly but he said no. I worry he'll die and no one will ever know. It's sad. I wonder does anyone stop to see if he's okay. I've read stories of people dieing and not being found for a long time. "One is the loneliest number" - Three Dog Night.
hmm.png

Too, I can give up the chickens and be free to do whatever and not have to try to get anyone to take care of them while I'm gone. Winter is coming on too fast.

I think Buckwheat may be broody. Good lord she's nearly 6 years old. She's still slightly swollen but nothing that girl does surprises me.

Well take care and get to the Fair if you can.

Rancher, Still kicking just not so high, Hicks

T
I've a friend who is allergic to commercial eggs. Can't say why, but he eats my eggs with no trouble. 
Went to the Fair again yesterday with DD and her boyfriend. It was soooooo hoooot.  I'd paid for the all day ride ticket but only went on the Tilt a whirl.  $20 ride. I got nauseas. I didn't eat my eggs and toast before I left and after having gotten sick from the  first day at the Fair all that greasy food didn't look appetizing. 

DD was upset there were not chickens. Don't know why as she's the last one to help take care of them. 

Saw Sawyer Fredericks and he was good, though he would have been better with a back up band. The heat made it tough though. 

Saw the soap Lady too, but didn't buy any soap this year. She and her husband remember me of course and I wonder if I'm viewed as that freaky person who's perceived as a little off. If you know what I mean.  I buy her soaps because they're good and cheaper than elsewhere. $20 for five bars.  I have plenty for awhile anyhow. Having grown up poor I have a thing for soap.  :lol:     

The egg color thing is all psychological I think.  Europeans like the brown eggs. I have a customer from Bosnia that even said don't wash the eggs. I'm sure you know your soft shell is due to not enough calcium in her diet. While the feeds say there is enough that is not true. Give her a little oyster shell grit and she should be fine. 

In other news I've someone coming to pick up five C. Rocks I posted. 2 roosters and 3 hens.  I'm working up to giving up the chickens starting with the older ones.   I just had a friend here who needed a chick for her lone chick and I gave her a C. Rock chick and two EE's.  I am tired and Metellas post has me down.

I think the Hermit down the road may have the right idea. I've tried to talk to him and offered eggs and jelly but he said no. I worry he'll die and no one will ever know. It's sad. I wonder does anyone stop to see if he's okay. I've read stories of people dieing and not being found for a long time. "One is the loneliest number" -  Three Dog Night.  :/     

Too, I can give up the chickens and be free to do whatever and not have to try to get anyone to take care of them while I'm gone. Winter is coming on too fast.  

I think Buckwheat may be broody.  Good lord she's nearly 6 years old.  She's still slightly swollen but nothing that girl does surprises me. 

Well take care and get to the Fair if you can. 

Rancher, Still kicking just not so high, Hicks
The girls have access to oyster shell 24/7 so I think she just needs to eat it and wait for her system to correct. She's still young.

Back
Top Bottom