NY chicken lover!!!!

i have 3 sets. 1 year, 6 weeks today and 3 days old.

Time to get out the elastic bands and scissors!
hmm.png

Quote:
@rancher hicks - you got Silkies!
ep.gif
I never thought I'd read that! You must now have to wear a tin foil hat 24/7, right?
wink.png

My TSC had Silkies on sale for like 2 weeks & no one was buying them - buy 6 get 6 free! I didn't get any, as they're all white, plus the last Silkie chick I got just didn't seem to "catch on". Would find it in the rain soaked, just didn't seem very smart. I prefer my bantam Cochin crosses - great mothers, but still act like "real chickens".

Anyways, it's been awhile since I've come on BYC. Just super busy with chicks hatching (almost) weekly. Plus, I did get Cornish meaties from TSC, staggered them, so they won't be ready all at the same time.
Yesterday afternoon, I moved the oldest batch out to pasture (not that they eat any grass!) Today, with the wind & rain, had to staple plastic on 3 sides of the all-hardware-cloth pen, since they weren't used to the wind. Another pasture pen has older pullets & a few cockerel from my first 2017 hatch in February.

Here's a few photos from several weeks ago from my flock.

we have a climber.

the girls are going to get fixed asap.

I might have done better with a cat rather than these two rabbits who are no longer bunnies.

I know the CNY cat coalition will help with getting your cats fixed. Please give them a call. While I don't have any cats, I do support them with a donation now and then. Right now I have eggs for sale the money going to the coalition. That's how much I believe in the work they do. They might even help with rehoming if you need them to.

I know someone was looking for some brown leghorns at some point I hatched some for a friend (his parents) they had only wanted white egg layers now they only want brown egg layers so I have them as extras with a few Easter eggers that appear to be mostly pullets. My brooders are starting to be overfilled lol...
1f644.png
I have another 30 due this weekend pure Araucana (20/42 in lockdown) from CA hoping to get a few to go w/ the 4 survivors I had picked up last month in Penn and some speckled sussex from a local lady that wanted to confirm fertility.

@rancher hicks - you got Silkies!
ep.gif
I never thought I'd read that! You must now have to wear a tin foil hat 24/7, right?
wink.png

My TSC had Silkies on sale for like 2 weeks & no one was buying them - buy 6 get 6 free! I didn't get any, as they're all white, plus the last Silkie chick I got just didn't seem to "catch on". Would find it in the rain soaked, just didn't seem very smart. I prefer my bantam Cochin crosses - great mothers, but still act like "real chickens".

Anyways, it's been awhile since I've come on BYC. Just super busy with chicks hatching (almost) weekly. Plus, I did get Cornish meaties from TSC, staggered them, so they won't be ready all at the same time.
Yesterday afternoon, I moved the oldest batch out to pasture (not that they eat any grass!) Today, with the wind & rain, had to staple plastic on 3 sides of the all-hardware-cloth pen, since they weren't used to the wind. Another pasture pen has older pullets & a few cockerel from my first 2017 hatch in February.

Here's a few photos from several weeks ago from my flock.

Yes I got Silkies. I don't expect them to look like much. I had that one lone chick for so long I broke. They were only 50 cents each and I did pick out three that look to be pullets of some kind. I figure at 50 cents I can afford to give them away if need be. I do get leery of folks who take free animals though.

Now I've got a hen with two chicks and 5 hens that are broody. Including Frenchy! At least I think she is. I expect more chicks as the days go by and will keep adding them to the hen with two chicks. Trouble with the broodies is they're all in one coop. With only six nest boxes it's a struggle. I'm still mulling over how to solve that problem. I do have the "way back" coop that is empty. And I do have another Delaware rooster, so I could move some Del hens and him to the way back coop.

One thing I like about this run is the door is so wide I can just shovel the cleanings out into the run where they are reworked into nice compost. What you see here is leaves. With the plastic over it they're still dry. My point too is that hoops are great coops to have as they're easy to clean. At least the way this one is designed is. I do have a door out the back too.

I have used this door for cleaning too. Because the coop is raised to "wheelbarrow" level it's easy to clean from that side too.

I have some coorugated panels to go on and plan to use clear one on the run. A roof vent is planned too. Tarps are okay but don't last in the sun.

I know someone was looking for some brown leghorns at some point I hatched some for a friend (his parents) they had only wanted white egg layers now they only want brown egg layers so I have them as extras with a few Easter eggers that appear to be mostly pullets. My brooders are starting to be overfilled lol...
1f644.png
I have another 30 due this weekend pure Araucana (20/42 in lockdown) from CA hoping to get a few to go w/ the 4 survivors I had picked up last month in Penn and some speckled sussex from a local lady that wanted to confirm fertility.

Sadly you are too far away. I like the Brown leghorns much better than the whites, as they're camouflaged when they free range. And I wouldn't mind an Arauca rooster to go with my EE hens. If I had a better car and more time I'd make the drive. Sussex are a nice breed too. Lord have mercy there are more breeds than I have room and time for.
barnie.gif

Well I hope you find some takers.

TTFN,

Rancher

Back
Top Bottom