NY chicken lover!!!!

Glad to see the site back up :)
So I got one of these the other day...
IMG_8130.JPG IMG_7794.JPG
What up with that?

That came from my 2 year old pearl leghorn
Possibly just a anomaly. I had a few from a brown leghorn, only reason I knew who did it actually saw her drop one from the roost :hmm
I started giving oyster shell even though I'd never before, layer feed should be sufficient if it is good stuff. Didn't have any more and didn't buy any more oyster shell. I think it was just a fluke. They started out laying as pullets 100 gram+ double yolkers :eek:
After they started getting straightened out to normal eggs was when I had the shell-less. Must have been just straightening out the whole timing thing, hopefully you see no more also.
Sad to say though, 2 yrs old, sometimes the super duper layers are headed to the downhill side.

I have 6 new RIR that I got a couple months ago, preparing for the slow down of the leghorns, of which at least 1 is a cockerel. Every time I've gotten new chickens I end up with at least 1 rooster.

Yes, I'd think aggressive roosters wouldn't be culled out in a large breeding flock for hatcheries.
X2.
I've had terrible experience with hatchery cocks. The sandhill giant's I have now, they might not be breeders but they obviously cull aggression. I have one and I gave my brother another, calm, better than the hens actually. At one point I had both and two red Sussex cockerels from them, no aggression what so ever, it was amazing.
They still hold there own though when need be, just lost a hen to a fox, fox didn't get to enjoy it's meal, my big boy was not too friendly with it, luckily DW was home, lost the hen but not him. Rest of them were smart and run into the coop.
Dealing with two peckerwoods of hatchery naked necks right now, bad bad bad. I'd cull them, but kinda hard when they're all you have...:he
Hoping the trend doesn't follow the offspring... (need a prayer emoji)

X2.
I've had terrible experience with hatchery cocks. The sandhill giant's I have now, they might not be breeders but they obviously cull aggression. I have one and I gave my brother another, calm, better than the hens actually. At one point I had both and two red Sussex cockerels from them, no aggression what so ever, it was amazing.
They still hold there own though when need be, just lost a hen to a fox, fox didn't get to enjoy it's meal, my big boy was not too friendly with it, luckily DW was home, lost the hen but not him. Rest of them were smart and run into the coop.
Dealing with two peckerwoods of hatchery naked necks right now, bad bad bad. I'd cull them, but kinda hard when they're all you have...:he
Hoping the trend doesn't follow the offspring... (need a prayer emoji)

I had a blue Andalusian rooster who was very aggressive, from a hatchery. But his son is wonderful & is 5 years old. He's actually helped keep peace among the young roosters. Though he's a wonderful rooster, I think his breeding years are coming to an end. I've watched him tread a hen but get off without even trying to mate. But other times he's successful. I hate to part with him, he's just a good rooster.
Most of the roosters I've hatched from my own flock & a few non-hatchery roosters I've gotten from other people, I've had a very high rate of "friendly" roosters. They do their job, respect me & get along with the other roosters.

Well I am back ...I had trouble signing in on the new site .
No longer use the email address I originally signed in with ...​
Welcome back!

Back
Top Bottom