Oak branches with leaves? Ok for the run? I’m

dbounds10

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 15, 2011
Fort Worth, Tx
I had some low hanging branches I needed to cut so I made a little tree shelter in the run. I hear mixed info on oak leaves. Should this be ok or should I remove it?
@aart @Eggcessive @nuthatched @Wyorp Rock

Attachments

• E93F31A5-26EE-4B12-B04E-27AAA48EBF2F.jpeg
    E93F31A5-26EE-4B12-B04E-27AAA48EBF2F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • 6C5A4579-011A-4ECF-B403-268906110C94.jpeg
    6C5A4579-011A-4ECF-B403-268906110C94.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
Yeah add a little shade and a place to hide. Trying to add things slowly out there and they don’t have any little hiding places. But they are picking at the leaves and if it’s dangerous I will yank them out
See they get shade from all the trees outside but still get sunny spots and don’t really have any hiding spots. This pic is from by coop cam

Attachments

• 2F167F73-EA3B-49E0-A291-24F230E5FD34.jpeg
    2F167F73-EA3B-49E0-A291-24F230E5FD34.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
Mine have been around oak and acorns. In fall, leaves from oak and various trees get raked up and place in the run.
That said, I've never just placed branches in the run, so can't say if they ate a lot of the leaves that you may not see some type of effect like loose stool or something.
I'd say unless they just stand there and eat all of them, it should be fine. Once the "novelty" wears off, they likely will just use that area as a place to hide and hang out.

If you're really concerned, then perhaps place the branches on top, hang them higher or even on the outside of the run which may provide some shade but would limit their access.

Mine have been around oak and acorns. In fall, leaves from oak and various trees get raked up and place in the run.
That said, I've never just placed branches in the run, so can't say if they ate a lot of the leaves that you may not see some type of effect like loose stool or something.
I'd say unless they just stand there and eat all of them, it should be fine. Once the "novelty" wears off, they likely will just use that area as a place to hide and hang out.

If you're really concerned, then perhaps place the branches on top, hang them higher or even on the outside of the run which may provide some shade but would limit their access.
I have been watching and I think the novelty has worn off. They don’t pick at it as much and they like to fly up and perch. I’m assuming it’s the green leaves that are the issue? I’m gonna keep a close eye and see. My husband is disabled and I’m not so great either so trying to find easy ways to add entertainment and hiding places that won’t kill me to do lol. Thanks for the reply!

Back
Top Bottom