observation of birds coming off roost?

Its quite funny.If your under them at that time,they will jump on your head(owner be darned!) then jump down paying no heed to you at all.
lau.gif
barnie.gif

I think it is funny how they have no trouble getting up to the highest point, but be darn if they can remember HOW they got up there. Mine will walk up the ramp, hop roost to roost, but fret and fret about flying down to get out. Then they take flight landing sending shaving everywhere!! I just don't get it. LOL!!!!

Mine fly off the roost. They hop up there using the ladder-like pieces I have put in there, but in the morning, you'll see them shooting out of the coop left and right and hitting the ground running.

Birds I am watching can be seen from bedroom window. One group comes down from shelf on front porch while another stays in a roosting contraption in front yard. A great deal of chasing about is involved. I do not see how dominant rooster can sustain so much chasing. Dominant rooster usually first to come down, then he chases everybody as they come down. Many fly a pretty good peice to get away. After 15 minutes or so all settle down for the typical chicken day.

This morning no chasing. Flights from roost only about 60 feet. Temperature 16 F with NNE wind 11 mph and dusting of snow. Birds went straight to feeding station, filled crop with many taking naps lying on ground. Antics associated with coming off roost appears to be a function of temperature.

I never really see them jump down but when I open the door I've seen several land on the others. The others then squawk and run out of the coop in an indignant fashion.

I had a group of chickens on a walk were the barn burned to ground. It was presumed all birds were lost. A year later while sitting in deer stand at edge of field behind remains of barn, I could here cackling and fluttering of chickens coming down from roost in cedar trees. If they did not make so much racket, I would not have known they were there. Required to more visits to figure out where they were roosting. Rooster did not crow, likely owing to predator pressure. The cackling surely though attracts predators so there must be a good reason for doing it otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom