Obsessive Chicken Disorder (OCD) help and support thread 😂😅🐔

Great thread!

I started out with 15 chickens, 14 hens and a rooster. I added to my flock over a few months and got to around 40 birds. I decided to add a few more hens and bought adult chickens to add to my flock. Even after having the hens in quarantine and seeing no sign of sickness, sadly my whole flock contracted mycoplasma and mareks and whoever didn't pass had to be culled.

After going through that traumatic experience and deep cleaning the original coop a few times and airing it out for 6 weeks, I decided the best route would be hatching my own chicks. I already had an incubator so it wasn't a big deal to go get eggs from a good local breeder. This is now my preferred way of obtaining chicks and now I have around 80 to 85 hens and 10 roosters. We now have 12 different breeds, all different ages. We have Silkies, Salmon Faverolle, Phoenix, Silver Sebright, Golden Sebright, Turkens, Silver Wyandottes, Belgian d'Uccle, Barred Rock, Leghorn (Mixed I believe), Japanese Bantams, and White Crested Black Polish.
(My roosters aren't aggressive with my hens and don't over mate them).

***Edited to mention I forget about the fact that I have a few light brahma so that would be 13 breeds 🙈

Now I constantly have eggs in the incubator and have a new batch of chicks every few weeks. I try to avoid keeping any unless I know for sure they are girls. Other than that, I try to sell off the others so my chicken addiction is satisfied with seeing the chicks hatch, but I'm not keeping more than we need. :):cool:

Last edited:
View attachment 2834409
View attachment 2834373

I am too obsessed. My little dinosaurs have stolen my heart, and, most probably, eaten it, thinking it was a tomato!
Here is a thread for people who have realised their addiction. Talk about your obsession, get advice & support and have some fun!

3 step program:
  1. How many chickens did you start with? How high did you set your maximum chicken amount?
  2. Count your chickens
  3. Accept that chicken addictions are uncurable, and buy some "acception merch"
Acception merch:
OCD cup/mug
OCD mouse pad
OCD t-shirt
OCD t-shirt/jumper
OCD coop sign

View attachment 2834384
How many of these do you have?

Started with 20, lost three. Thought 20 was too many anyways. Discovered heritage breeds. Now have 32 and probably going to add a few more 😂.

I started with what, 10 chickens when I was really young so I don’t remember those. Every year my dad would let me and my two sisters each pick out 1-2 chicks and add them to the flock. They free ranged so we always lost them.

Finally started to cage them up because we were tired of losing them. Then it went down to getting about 2 chicks from Orshelans once a year or so.

Then I got older and decided I wanted to hatch eggs. So I got a rooster. Cooper. He was about 8 months when I got him. He is a who knows what breed. I hatched out a few batches of his chicks and ended up keeping 1 boy and 5 girls. 2/5 hens died when they were 11 months old. 2/5 were sold, and the last girl is still alive, and she has a messed up foot.

Then about 6 months later I bought my first own flock, the April Flock. 2 blue cochins, 2 splash silkies, 2 blue silkies, 3 silver laced polish, and 2 blue laced red wyandotte’s. All was well. Then one polish died. All was good again. Got a pair of cochins, pairs of blue silkies, pair of BLRW. Got two polish cockerels and two splash silkie pullets. Then one of the splash silkies died. Sold the BLRW pair. One of the polish died. The cochins are part of a cochin flock, The remaining silkies are in the silkie flock, and the remaining polish is part of a rooster flock.

Then after a bit more chickens, I bought my second flock. 4 splash cochins, 4 dark brahmas and 3 blue silkies. Two dark brahmas died. I sold one of the blue silkies. The remaining are 4 weeks but 3/4 splash cochins are cockerels, both dark brahmas are pullets and the other two silkies are TBD.

I have 60 or so chickens.
I’m planning on selling about 25 chickens or so.

I don't have a problem. I only had 3 hens and a rooster, so I got 3 chicks this last spring. I only have 7 chickens. I don't have a problem.

I have three songs I sing to the chickens. There's the "Good Morning, Chickens" song, the "Chickie Snack" song, and the "Goodnight Chickens" song. I sing them every day. I do not have a problem.

When my chicks were little this last summer, I made an enclosure outside the brooder and sat with them. I told them that they were "safe with momma." Nope, don't have a problem.

Of course, they all have names! What kind of question is that? Yes, I can tell the three black ones apart! You got a problem with that?

What do you mean, you think chickens are ugly? They're beautiful! What's your problem?

20210916_173005_HDR.jpg

Afternoon everyone!

Back
Top Bottom