Obsessive compulsive or normal - read then vote!

Is doing dishes by oil lamp normal?

• That's way beyond obsessive compulsive!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Of course you HAD to do the dishes!

• Still working on last WEEKS dishes here!

• Dishes? What are dishes?

• Total voters
I always rinse my plate and silverware and any cup or glass that I use after eating or snacking. Then I put it in the sink. I don't even know how to load or turn on the dishwasher and don't want to know. Same for the washing machine, but I always put my dirty clothes in the hamper.

Quote:
Nope! Nope! Dishes can only be done with electricity or an oil lamp. Got any of those?
However, bacon is interesting to cook by flashlight. Balance the flashlight on your shoulder while turning the bacon and try not to drop the flashlight when you jump out of the way of splatters.
ETA: If I come to your house I'm bringing the silkie home with me.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
WELL.. looking farther into the whos right whos wrong.. LOL
I think you answered your own question.. I understand not waking up to a sink full of dishes.... but HEY>> once in awhile when the power goes out.. ITS OK... Maybe once a week you should leave a few in the sink over night.. Work on the OCD, its really kinda funny when you do it.. cuz it will drive you nuts.. but it gets easier.
Maybe the root of the problem... imo is your second reason for doing the.. which is probably the root of why you have to do them now... My mom was the same way, she still says the same thing.. I PERSONALLY don't wanna be like my mom.. in some ways its good, but my memories of her were constantly cleaning, she could not relax, I couldnt go to school until my bed was made and my clothes were put away and being late wasnt on the option list either.. My kids will remember a clean house , yes,, but not their mom HAVING to always clean or yell about whats left out now.. (which I do my fair share of yelling.. LOL ) my point is.. we all have OCD's.... but they only controll us if we allow them two.. I used to mop my floors every day,, maybe 2 or 3 times.. I'd vacuum the same amount once I had kids.. I couldnt stand dirty floors.. Now I mop once a week and vacuum and or sweep once a day.. and HEY, the house is still standing and we're not dead from germs.

My OCD still which I had under control until lately again.. is I can not walk by box of q-tips without having to stop and clean my ears. If I see on left on the counter, I'll go and get one... My friend died laughing when I told her this.. I recognize its weird.. and I randomly make myself move past it and do something far away from the q-tip box.. and its not cuz my ears are dirty.. its cuz I like the scratchy feeling.. LOL
LOL.. Have a good one and laugh at yourself.. and your husband.. I'm sure he's got issues too.. LOL we all do.

I hate waking up to a mess. No one will rest in this house if it isn't clean before bed. We all pitch in and clean the whole house before going to bed each night.

Your power went out so you have a good enough reason not to do them and regret it the next morning
tongue.png

Last edited:
LOL.. I totally enjoyed this .. reading through and understanding so many..
I agree with a few.. If I make dinner, boys clear and load the dish washer. I will then go behind to make sure counters are wiped and things are cleared off and put away.. and yes you must move coffee pot and mixer to wipe... crumbs do get under those Items... I do fold my towels in thirds, even my kids got this down right... and well if hubby attempts to help me out.. I have learned to literally bite my tongue and leave the area or he'll drive me nuts watching him take 45 minutes to do a 5 minute job (he gets side tracked). and he can fold neat, does he? nope.
I goto bed before my kids.. and so I will always wake up to some dishes in my sink.... My morning routine follows.. pee, grab the dirty clothes from the night before and get them close to the laundry room, let the dogs out, make coffee, get last nights dirty close in the laundry room and put in a load of laundry, load the dishes , wipe counters again, let the dogs in and grab my coffee and come to BYC>. lol
LIFES GOOD! as long as I have my coffee

OH .. and our up north house lost power every time it rained or the wind blew.. we got used to doing everything by candle light.. if I saw a rain drop I filled the tub with water for flushing and washing dishes.. boiling water over camp fire or wood stove,, depending on season... LOL

Last edited:
Quote:
WELL.. looking farther into the whos right whos wrong.. LOL
I think you answered your own question.. I understand not waking up to a sink full of dishes.... but HEY>> once in awhile when the power goes out.. ITS OK... Maybe once a week you should leave a few in the sink over night.. Work on the OCD, its really kinda funny when you do it.. cuz it will drive you nuts.. but it gets easier.
Maybe the root of the problem... imo is your second reason for doing the.. which is probably the root of why you have to do them now... My mom was the same way, she still says the same thing.. I PERSONALLY don't wanna be like my mom.. in some ways its good, but my memories of her were constantly cleaning, she could not relax, I couldnt go to school until my bed was made and my clothes were put away and being late wasnt on the option list either.. My kids will remember a clean house , yes,, but not their mom HAVING to always clean or yell about whats left out now.. (which I do my fair share of yelling.. LOL ) my point is.. we all have OCD's.... but they only controll us if we allow them two.. I used to mop my floors every day,, maybe 2 or 3 times.. I'd vacuum the same amount once I had kids.. I couldnt stand dirty floors.. Now I mop once a week and vacuum and or sweep once a day.. and HEY, the house is still standing and we're not dead from germs.

My OCD still which I had under control until lately again.. is I can not walk by box of q-tips without having to stop and clean my ears. If I see on left on the counter, I'll go and get one... My friend died laughing when I told her this.. I recognize its weird.. and I randomly make myself move past it and do something far away from the q-tip box.. and its not cuz my ears are dirty.. its cuz I like the scratchy feeling.. LOL
LOL.. Have a good one and laugh at yourself.. and your husband.. I'm sure he's got issues too.. LOL we all do.

The thing is I don't want to "fix" me. It's what makes me unique and I'm happy with who I am now. That wasn't always the case. I've never taken it to the extremes my mom did. When she was pregnant with me, her uterus ruptured when she was nine months along. She almost died and so did I. What caused her uterus to rupture? Probably the fact that as far along as she was, she was still moving the refrigerator EVERY week to clean behind it.
I spent many afternoons as a child having to dust her bell collection; something like 150 of them. I guess I took really good care of those bells, because she willed them to me when she died. I promptly gave those dang things away!
So, I'm a tad off center and I have my issues. Doesn't bother me and DH is not only getting used to them, he's learning to laugh right along with me.
smile.png

I wasnt saying you were broke.. I was just thinking its fun to find my issues face a challenge. LOL. 150bells.. UGGGG I use to scrub the white grout in the entry.. WHO puts white grout in an entry/hall way???? LOL.. Its a wonder we all survived... and my kids will say the same thing about me.... the circle of life is grand isn't it..

I did think of YOU tonight when I did my dinner dishes though.. grin..

Back
Top Bottom