veetown707

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 21, 2018
Sebastopol, California
I have a hen who is definitely getting up in years now. I've had her 6 years, she was full grown when I got her. Anyway, she still is very active and spunky normally. I recently dealt with 2 problems simultaneously with her. We had a Northern fowl mite infestation which I treated with warm baths and ivermectin as well as diatomaceous earth in their bathing areas. They got her really good and she was getting anemic before I discovered them. After they were gone, I noticed she still didn't want to eat much and was doing an odd neck dance. After some research I determined she might have sour crop. I syringe fed her vitamins and minerals in water and yogurt with olive oil in it to help pass whatever was in there. In a couple days she was fully recovered, running toward me full speed every time she saw me and eating everything in sight. I was so relieved.

Fast forward a couple weeks, the mites returned. I gave more ivermectin and warm baths. They weren't as bad this time but her energy was down again. It's been a couple weeks since then and she seemed to have recovered. However the last few days she is looking down again. I gave her another bath but did not see any mites come off of her this time. I've check all the hens and they were also treated with ivermectin at the same time. The really weird thing is, on the side of her neck when I was blow drying her I noticed a weird smell. I looked and she has a pretty big bald spot (you can't see it unless you part the feathers so I only discovered it because of the smell), but there is nothing strange about the skin. No visible wounds, mites, redness, nothing. It's just bald and stinks. Anyone have any ideas what is going on? It may be worth mentioning that is not one of the areas where the mites were affecting her. Also worth noting she is the top of the pecking order and absolutely nobody ever messes with her, even when she doesn't feel well.

Back
Top Bottom