Odd bumblefoot question...dont know what to do next...

tlouiselle

Chirping
Mar 15, 2015
I have been lurking all over to see if anyone has an answer but there has been no luck.

My little silkie has wonderful bumblefoot on both feet...in multiple spots. She is not limping or favoring it. I never would have known she had it if she wasn't having her regular once over. I left it alone when I first discovered it to learn more before taking the next step. In the mean time, she was on antibiotics also.

Last night I had the courage to dive in. I felt so bad that while she was soaking I fed her little treats LOL.

There had been some changes since the time we discovered it. Some of the kernels had made their way out. They had pushed their way out of her feet and were hanging/attached by the white threadlike material that people talk about. On other spots they were close to the surface and I was able to pierce the skin and pull some out without any major cutting/blood...the white threaded stuff came out with it...I got as much out as I could without being too invasive. I sprayed her with vetericyn and bandaged her since areas had been opened.

Is this something that can happen with bumble foot sometimes? Can it be minor or do ALL cases require the invasive slicing surgery? I want to know if he body may be pushing it out on it's own or if I should still dive in?

Also...she had been on antibiotics for a minor upper respiratory issue...she is off of them for one week and is healthy...should I keep her on them for the bumblefoot though?

In some cases the bumblefoot does seem to come out in one piece. I wouldn't keep digging, I have done so before and my hens foot is 'deflated'. She is fine though. And this shouldn't happen every-digging either. :) The minor cases seem to require more digging.

I haven't heard about antibiotics though. Staph infections are adaptable and only 10% today can be treated with antibiotics. I personally wouldn't continue.

THANK YOU. That is what I was hoping to read. Since the areas are open I will just keep putting vetericyn on them and wrapped to keep the skin clean/soft for it to push its way out. then I will leave them uncovered and keep spraying. Poor baby.

Back
Top Bottom