Odd colored Coturnix quail chick

Hehe thanks!! I was told she's an Italian by some and a manchurian by others and then I just read a post tonight about the differences between them and some people were saying they were the same
1f602.png

My impression after reading it was that Italian have the black V markings whereas manchurian are more pale?
1f914.png
She's a real sweetie, a sleeve snuggler and always begging for attention and "leg tickles"
1f601.png

It's sooo cute to see your birds that resemble her as a baby hehe!! That one seems to have some black wing feathers - pretty cool!

Ohhh it looks like you may have a silver colored quail too beside the yellow one :) they're not too common! I don't have experience with them so hope I'm right about the color ^^

As for the first one I'm not sure :D maybe Tibetan?

Hehe thanks!! I was told she's an Italian by some and a manchurian by others and then I just read a post tonight about the differences between them and some people were saying they were the same
1f602.png

My impression after reading it was that Italian have the black V markings whereas manchurian are more pale?
1f914.png
She's a real sweetie, a sleeve snuggler and always begging for attention and "leg tickles"
1f601.png

It's sooo cute to see your birds that resemble her as a baby hehe!! That one seems to have some black wing feathers - pretty cool!

Ohhh it looks like you may have a silver colored quail too beside the yellow one :) they're not too common! I don't have experience with them so hope I'm right about the color ^^

As for the first one I'm not sure :D maybe Tibetan?

I looked up manchurians and all the pictures were quail with this crescent under their ear. I have 2 different colours. The other is grey

This one of my girls which I have been told is a manchurian

This is her and some of my others which we think are Italian colouring as look exactly like the pic on the colour variations thread on here :)

Last edited:

I looked up manchurians and all the pictures were quail with this crescent under their ear. I have 2 different colours. The other is grey

You know... I am thinking the first one is actually a mix between an Italian and a pharaoh :) it's a rarer mix and they tend to have a "spooky face" on their backs hehe!

The absence of the chest speckles and the bigger patches of darker feathers are making me think she looks similar to my calicos :)

This is the "ghost or spooky face" lol, she's actually brooding here and successfully hatches several chicks and raised them for a few days, tidbitting for food in the aviary hehe!

And this is another calico - a bit more yellow and younger,

Does your first quail have the spooky face on its back?
1f61c.png

You know... I am thinking the first one is actually a mix between an Italian and a pharaoh :) it's a rarer mix and they tend to have a "spooky face" on their backs hehe!

The absence of the chest speckles and the bigger patches of darker feathers are making me think she looks similar to my calicos :)

This is the "ghost or spooky face" lol, she's actually brooding here and successfully hatches several chicks and raised them for a few days, tidbitting for food in the aviary hehe!

And this is another calico - a bit more yellow and younger,

Does your first quail have the spooky face on its back?
1f61c.png

The more I see of these birds the more I love them. What an interesting selection you have. After reading all of your information I am ready to just say that I am happy to just enjoy them. I can see far too many years caught up in researching the colour origins. A rabbit hole I don't want to jump into.

So I am more than happy to read your articles with interest and marvel at the "spooky face" discoveries.

It is so much more enjoyable seeing things through others eyes even if they are a bit "spooky"!

Definitely not so spooky? Thankfully she is my cuddliest girl. I think I can see a pattern even if it is a little vague.

I am really interested in your understanding of their noises. Ever since I read one of your posts on various sounds I have been listening. I cannot believe that I have never really heard them before. Thank-you for opening my ears.

Back
Top Bottom