Odd Hen Behavior

Crickett B

Songster
9 Years
Aug 26, 2010
Blue Ridge Mountains
As some who read these boards know, Pearl, my hen hatch 10 chickens and 3 turkeys out. 1 chick and 2 of the turkeys did not make it She did this in stages: 1 turkey poult the weekend of June 11 which died. I was then gone for 10 days, but my better half said he did not see any more, but then he did not see the chickens laying eggs in her nest either. Then she hatched out 2 turkey poults and 5 chicks the weekend of June 25, I took those from her as she still had more eggs. The following weekend she hatched out 5 more chicks. I then decide to put the first 5 and the turkey poult back with her. She readily excepted the chicks, with no issue but rejected the turkey poult with a passion.

Now she bristles and rushes the fence every time my almost 2 month old turkey poult walks by the confinement. But has not one issue with the 30 chickens (10 of them about the age of 2 months, nor the 2 ducks, or the 4 geese) Plus the past 2 days has left her chicks to go "steal" my bantam hens nest. I have to physically remove her from the nest and take her back to her area.

Has anyone else had this behavior occur, and what, if anything, can I do to break her of the nest stealing habit? I gave up on the giving her real baby back. It is an inside bird now, with a new baby turkey I bought to keep it company.

Thank you for any input.
Crickett

Very interesting........was she raised with chickens?

I am no help to you, sorry. I only have one turkey, hatched on May 27th by one of my bantam cochin hens. I worry that Tykie (the turkey) will identify with the chickens and not turkeys when I finally hatch or buy more
hmm.png

I have a duck, Peepers, who I raised with a clutch of bantam chicks. Peepers had been rejected by his duck mother and was lonely..........no ducklings to be found only chicks. Peepers is now over 2 yrs of age and will have nothing to do with ducks. He believes he is a chicken. He avoids the ducks we do have, and will attack them if he thinks they are bothering "his" flock.

Quote:
Not that I know of. I bought her from the feed store, an she was with a ton of other turkeys at the time.
I've had her since the middle of February/ I have had the Gobbler about 4 days longer than her.

Back
Top Bottom