OEG X silkie chick -? Impacted crop.

Godiva

Crowing
16 Years
May 17, 2007
Colorado
I have a 7 week old chick that I have noticed has a bulging crop that seems hard. They're still eating starter/grower and there's grit in their food. They have been getting greens that we bring in for them as they're stuck in the brooder until the coop extension is completed. I have them on pine shavings. Other chicks are fine. I left it overnight to see if it's crop would empty, but, while it is not as full this morning it is still definitely hard and bulging. The chick is eating (a little) and drinking. Couldn't see if it pooped yet. I am going to separate it from its flock mates until we've sorted this out. Wondering what I should put down on the cage floor? An old towel? Since it's eating a little should I give it scrambled egg with oil? How much? Which oil? How often? Thanks for any help you can offer

Use coconut oil. Measure out a teaspoon and chill slightly. Form into several pea size bits and slip each into the beak. She will swallow easily. Then gently massage the hard lump until you feel it break up.

I am not managing to slip the coconut oil into the beak! It is refusing to open its beak lol like a naughty toddler! Can I mix the coconut oil with something else to make it more interesting? The chick is pooping and it looks pretty normal

I did the oil and massage twice yesterday. The hard lump is now broken up and squishable, it has decreased slightly in size, but still distended. What is my next step? I haven't noticed any bad smells while massaging - I think I read somewhere to use a dulcolax suppository? Would it be a whole one? Do I just break it up and feed it to the bird?

This chick is a bit thin. How long must it be without food? Or should I give it only wet chick food? Or scrambled egg?

The chick may eat whatever it will. No need to withhold food.

I would try the stool softener. Just pop the capsule into the beak, and wait a bit, then massage again. You might want to give a bit more oil.

How is this chick acting? Is it alert, active, or lethargic and sickly?

I checked the crop this morning before it ate - definitely down compared to the other day, but a hard ball at the base of the crop again. Will do the dulcolax this morning - should I do the oil at a separate time?

Back
Top Bottom