OEGB Hens being too loud.

Riverbend Farms

Songster
Apr 21, 2022
California
My OEGB hens are being quite loud, one is screaming and it sounds like a try-hard crow (we know she is not a roo, but she has an oddly large comb? She lays eggs tho) The other one is making a horrible eee-eeee-eee noise and I don't know what to do, They havent laid any eggs today so maybe thats the issue? They are a 6 m/o splash and a 11 m/o wheaten. Both hens. Please help!

Is it an issue for your neighbors? Or is it just bothering you?

Are you able to post pictures of the hens?

Sometimes it could just be the egg song that makes hens make weird, loud noises.

Do you have any predators around? Hawks flying, dogs running around, etc.

Sorry for the overload of questions. Just trying to understand the situation a little better.

@NNYchick
Yes, they do, their waterer actually keeps it pretty cool, and they also have plenty of shade too.

@All4Eggz
1. There are no roosters.
2. The hens ages are as follows:
2 Buff orpingtons - 2 Year olds
1 barred rock - 2 years old
1 australorp - 4 m/o
1 easter egger - 4 m/o
1 black sex link - 4 m/o
2 OEGBs - there is one 7 m/o and a 11 m/o
1 wyandotte bantam - 3 or 4 years old
3. No, this is not the first time, they have done it before but they did it very long this time, about 3-5 hours. Usually it is only 30 minutes or so.

To answer you @All4Eggz
1. For us, no, since we're used to it, but for our neighbors, maybe?
On one side of our house is our neighbor that just smokes weed and stays in his bedroom all day, the other side the husband had lots of chickens, so thats a no, and behind us is an old lady but she just seems to stay inside all day too. So I guess for the neighbors, not really a problem, but if we get a complaint we have to get rid of 6 of our 9 hens.
2.Yes, I will soon.
3. We have a dog, but he never makes them go off like this.
And for @NNYchick No, I dont think so, they also seem kinda hot.

Do you usually let them out of the coop. Do they have somewhere to sit in the shade with a breeze? If you think they are hot this could be the reason for the upset, bring them some nice cold water, sometimes when it’s real hot I will add ice to the water.

Back
Top Bottom