Off center pelvis???

Redbirdacres

Songster
Mar 22, 2022
This is Mary Lou. Production red, got her at about 1 day old. She is about 10.5 weeks although she appears half that size (thus the name, Tiny Tim/Mary Lou Rettin). We don't know why she's so small. She had a couple cases if pasty butt as a baby but since then has been completely fine and just didn't grow like the others. But she seemed to get along just fine.

Two days ago I noticed she was limping. She had jumped from my arms when I was moving them around and tried to fly down but exhibited no signs of trauma or injury at that so im not even sure if that is significant.

This evening when I went out to put everyone to bed, the babies had escaped their enclosure (they're separated from the adult girls while they acclimate) and roaming the yard. While at a different angle to see Mary Lou, I noticed her pelvis looks to be off center. Her body seems normal but pelvis/hips/legs are off to the left (her left). She cheeps A LOT but instantly calms down when in my hand. It's not natural so she does flap at me sometimes but she's instantly quiet whether I'm holding her underside or her feet. She doesn't have any interest in roosting and sleeps on the ground. I see no signs of injury, broken bones, bleeding, she doesn't yell in pain. Nothing. This is a new one I've never seen before.

At all odds I would prefer to home treat/help/stabilize. Our vet doesn't do poultry/waterfowl and the thought of culling her is heartbreaking as I've grown quite attached this teeny tiny baby. This may just be disabled farm animal #3 for me *sigh* (See duck posts if you want to know more lol).

PS sorry for the video, our barn cat was trying to shoo everyone off so she could have my attention

Looks like she may have some type of leg bone deformity. Look up Valgus Varus.

I'm not sure how you can remedy this. If you have an Avian Vet that can see her, that would be best.

You might try to get a picture from the front or back of her legs as they appear to you. I also supect that she might have valgus leg deformity on her right leg. Varus is the opposite where the leg is bowed outward, while valgus is knock kneed. Either deformity can happen in one leg or both. Tendon injuries from a rooster or other accident might cause the tendon to swell or be loose. I frown on splinting many problems, because tape and vet wrap can slip and cut off circulation when they slip. Here are some examples of varus and valgus deformities:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ctious-skeletal-disorders-in-poultry-broilers

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._of_the_Intertarsal_Joint_in_Broiler_Chickens

It was really hard to get pics of her but here's the best I could get last night. The first pic she was walking so that leg was at an angle but her legs themselves look OK to me???

Attachments

• 20230703_202550.jpg
    20230703_202550.jpg
    690.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230703_202530.jpg
    20230703_202530.jpg
    505.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230703_203038.jpg
    20230703_203038.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230703_203042.jpg
    20230703_203042.jpg