Ended Official BYC Article Writing Contest - #19

Pics
Here are the thirteen entries:
Caring for Pigeons in an Aviary or Indoors

Caring for Pigeons in an Aviary or Indoors

Pigeons make great pets, something that is unknown to many people, even those who keep chickens and other types of birds! In this article I will go over the basics of caring for pigeons outdoors in an aviary or indoors in the home. Pigeons aren’t for everyone, but you may find at the end of this...
My New Journey with Pigeons

My New Journey with Pigeons

My New Journey with Pigeons: What I’ve Learned, and Why You Should Get Them Too Yes, especially if you live in town or have a small amount of space. Pigeons are a domestic bird oft overlooked. I know I overlooked them, though I’ve exhibited chickens for many years. I thought they weren’t worth...
Pressure Canner Incubator for Rescue of a Staggered Hatch

Pressure Canner Incubator for Rescue of a Staggered Hatch

As a newbie to the chicken world, I made the classic mistake - I set eggs in my new incubator, and then I kept adding to them, giving me a staggered hatch for my first incubation. One day after I set 21 eggs in my Nurture Right 360, I threw in a tan one because the hen was an excellent layer...
How to Prepare a Chicken for the Shows

How to Prepare a Chicken for the Shows

Showing a chicken is really enjoyable, and being around other poultry enthusiasts who will talk chicken with you all day? That's even better. People will sit around talking with their birds in their laps or walk around cuddling them. But don’t let that fool you; they really know what they're...
Using Chickens To Regenerate, Add On To, And Keep Soil Healthy

Using Chickens To Regenerate, Add On To, And Keep Soil Healthy

Using Chickens to Regenerate, Add On To, and Keep Soil Healthy By:Mason Cain Any gardener, new or old, knows that preparing land for a garden (especially brand new land) is hard work. Whether you till or no till, dig or no dig, mulch or no mulch. We (any gardener) also know that it is not...
How To Teach Your Puppy To Be Trustworthy Around Your Poultry

Many people who have poultry will eventually bring home an adorable new puppy. Puppies entertain us with their cute and playful antics, steal our hearts and become treasured members of our families. But as a puppy grows, those playful behaviors can transition to include chasing and killing our...
Trouble in Parasites: Natural Wormers

Trouble in Parasites: Natural Wormers

Introduction Having a healthy flock is a priority of poultry owners everywhere, whether the birds are pets, livestock, or somewhere in between; we all want happy and robust birds. There's no one-size-fits-all method of chicken keeping but basic rules that can be customized to your particular...
Selecting the best breeds for your flock.

Selecting the best breeds for your flock.

Getting chicks Its spring again and you see everybody with cute baby chicks. Egg prices have gotten really high so you decide to get some chicks. They are so cute but what will they grow up to be? Hens, Roosters, what breed, will it lay enough? It depends what you buy and what your looking for...
Rooster management

Rooster management

Living with a rooster can be difficult. But it can also be easy. It depends on a few things, the bird, the environment, and you. Roosters can protect a flock, manage your flock, and fertilize eggs. Roosters also have downsides most roosters will crow but some wont, the can be aggressive to there...
DIY Dove Release: Why it’s a Bad Idea

DIY Dove Release: Why it’s a Bad Idea

The white dove is a powerful symbol of peace, love, and freedom. These majestic birds are often used during weddings, funerals, and memorials to create an awe-inspiring spectacle. But, have you ever wondered what happens to the white dove after its release? What is a white dove? White doves...
Common questions about chicks

Common questions about chicks

When I got my first chicks I had many questions about them, today I'm gonna type some simple answers to common questions to do with chicks. 1. What temperature do my chicks need in the brooder? For the first week the temperature under the heat plate or heat lamp should be 95°F...
Flat Pack Coop Takedown and Appraisal.

Flat Pack Coop Takedown and Appraisal.

This article is about a flatpack coop taken to bits after almost a decade of use. Lots of people buy these flatpack coops and the model I’m going to write about is a popular style option in the UK, made by various companies. It’s a generic style and most look identical from the outside, while...
Wholesome home-made chicken feed, without sweat, tears, a calculator, or deep pockets.

Wholesome home-made chicken feed, without sweat, tears, a calculator, or deep pockets.

Introduction This article is written in response to several requests to write up how I make my own chicken feed for my flock of heritage and rare breed chickens. I started keeping chickens in 2017, and initially fed them entirely on commercial feed. My aim is to have happy, healthy birds; it is...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chick-identification.78667/
My second article that was way to much work.
Chick Identification

Chick Identification

Maybe you bought a mixed set of chicks. Maybe the chicks you bought are absolutely not what they’re supposed to be. Maybe you’re best friend’s neighbor’s cousin knew a guy who’s brother’s wife had chicks and you bought a couple dozen. “What breed are they?” you ask. “Well, the guy I got them...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-to-be-trustworthy-around-your-poultry.78407/

Many people who have poultry will eventually bring home an adorable new puppy. Puppies entertain us with their cute and playful antics, steal our hearts and become treasured members of our families. But as a puppy grows, those playful behaviors can transition to include chasing and killing our...
Oh my gosh! I was dealing with this today and stumbled across your article at a perfect time😁. My daughter and son-in-law got a new puppy recently. They come over every Sunday to eat dinner and always bring the pup. A husky. When she was small she was a bit intimidated by the chickens who I let free range often. But she is growing fast and, now, wants to chase them. It causes havoc and I fear for my chickens metal and physical health.
Great article & great advice! Thanks for taking the time to write it!

Back
Top Bottom