Ended Official BYC Mini-Contest—Thanksgiving Side Dishes Photo Contest!

We are feeding 15 and working around some dietary restrictions and picky eaters
  • Small mesquite smoked Turkey
  • 2 kinds of stuffing (one in bird, one out)
  • Spiral ham
  • Mashed taters
  • Sweet taters
  • scalloped corn
  • Fried green bean bundles (beans wrapped in bacon, tempura battered and deep fried)
  • scratch biscuits
  • cranberry sauce
  • some kind of salad (prolly just a mixed salad)
  • 4 pies

We are feeding 15 and working around some dietary restrictions and picky eaters
  • Small mesquite smoked Turkey
  • 2 kinds of stuffing (one in bird, one out)
  • Spiral ham
  • Mashed taters
  • Sweet taters
  • scalloped corn
  • Fried green bean bundles (beans wrapped in bacon, tempura battered and deep fried)
  • scratch biscuits
  • cranberry sauce
  • some kind of salad (prolly just a mixed salad)
  • 4 pies
What’s scalloped corn?

More importantly, what kind of pies? 🤤

What’s scalloped corn?

More importantly, what kind of pies? 🤤
It's a creamed corn casserole with eggs, saltines, butter, milk, and black pepper. Nothing fancy, it's something my Grandpa used to make, and I make it in his memory (and because it's tasty) Like this:
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/9166/old-fashioned-scalloped-corn/

As for pies, Pumpkin, Dutch apple (may make baked cinnamon apples instead, depending on what the Mrs. wants), Chocolate pudding, and Lemon Meringue (which I'll get at VIllage inn because I'm too lazy to make it from scratch)

My biggest Thanksgiving tradition is eating the pie first.

There comes a point in the meal prep where I can take a break, brew up a pot of coffee & sit down for a sample plate of all the pies. We always do a pumpkin, a chocolate pecan & either a peach or an apple. Then it’s back to work to finish making the feast.

My parents & grandparents tradition was making a lime flavored jello with shredded carrots & celery in it. It was served individually in fat squares on a leaf of lettuce. 🤮

I don’t carry on that tradition, but we still joke about it.
Weird jello was all the rage in the 70's, weren't they? That would scare me too. Carrots and celery in my jello.

Back
Top Bottom