Official BYC Poll: Do You Wear a Mask or Respirator When Cleaning Your Coop?

Do you wear a mask or respirator when cleaning your coop?

• Yes - Everytime I'm in the coop!

Votes: 27 5.2%
  • Yes - Only when doing a deep clean

Votes: 116 22.4%
  • Yes - Whenever I scoop or scrape off the poop board

Votes: 29 5.6%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 56 10.8%
  • I used to, but I don't anymore

Votes: 12 2.3%
  • No - Never

Votes: 163 31.4%
  • No - Is that something I'm supposed to do????

Votes: 97 18.7%
  • Other - Please elaborate

Votes: 19 3.7%

• Total voters
Pics
My 28 y/o grandson cleans my walk-in coop monthly and puts down clean large flake shavings. It takes him three hours to do all the scraping and cleaning. He wears gloves, goggles, an N95 mask, boots and a full coverage disposable hazmat type suit. He buys the the personal safety suits on line for less than $10. He has medical problems and he's afraid the chicken dust and poop might give him more problems. He only wears the protection when he is doing the monthly cleaning.

Да! Опрос хороший, так как он заставил меня и думаю и других задуматься о своём здоровье! И как не крути надо одевать защитные средства, что бы наши глаза и лёгкие не страдали!
Буду при уборке одевать маску и нелинится это делать. Спасибо

Svetik said: "Yes! The survey is good, as it made me and I think others think about their health! And no matter how you look at it, we need to wear protective equipment so that our eyes and lungs do not suffer! I will wear a mask when cleaning and do not shed. Thank you" <-- done through duck duck go translator, what else? 😁

Interesting that there is much concern about the keepers health who may spend a few hours in what they obviously believe to be a harmfull environment but the chickens who live in it are largely forgotton.
If the coops and runs are so dusty that the keeper needs a mask then perhaps we should consider providing masks for the chickens that deal with such conditions day in and day out.;)

Like @BDutch, we too use diatomaceous earth and have silkies who roost on top of the nest boxes where I sprinkle it a couple of times a month. Thus when cleaning it, hubby and I both wear a mask to be safe as scraping that is usually dusty. The hen boxes too when changing those, all that dander and the DE!

The floor is horse pellets so that's never dusty but we only change those once a year anyway.

Back
Top Bottom