Official BYC Poll: What Breed Characteristics are Most Important to You?

What are your most important characteristics when choosing a breed?

• Temperament

Votes: 380 78.0%
  • Cold Hardiness

Votes: 190 39.0%
  • Heat Hardiness

Votes: 172 35.3%
  • Egg Production

Votes: 247 50.7%
  • Egg and Meat Production (dual purpose)

Votes: 81 16.6%
  • Egg Color

Votes: 159 32.6%
  • Egg Size

Votes: 89 18.3%
  • Meat Production

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • Aesthetics / Looks

Votes: 231 47.4%
  • Good Broodies

Votes: 80 16.4%
  • Lack of Broodiness

Votes: 57 11.7%
  • Pedigree

Votes: 18 3.7%
  • Showability

Votes: 46 9.4%
  • Heritage, Endangered, Rare

Votes: 106 21.8%
  • Size

Votes: 87 17.9%
  • Feed Consumption (cost to feed)

Votes: 51 10.5%
  • Purchase Price

Votes: 78 16.0%
  • Resistance to Diseases and Parasites (hardiness)

Votes: 194 39.8%
  • Other

Votes: 37 7.6%

• Total voters
You do have to take into account those that selected "Egg and Meat Production", like I did. I prefer less specialized birds, and I imagine many others that eat meat from their own flocks feel the same way.
I also chose "Egg and Meat Production" because the meat only birds must be done at a certain time and stored in the freezer. I do not want to buy a bigger freezer.

I tend to prefer pea and rose comb breeds(although it makes sexing all that much harder...), which of course relates to both their looks and their cold hardiness.
I really like experimenting with fluffy faced and fluffy footed breeds(d'uccles are my favorite bantams). We have some chickens that we call our "Napoleons" because they're horribly crossbred, but originally were Cochins like my avatar whose name was Napoleon. He was our first rooster(completely accidental), and he was amazing, to say the least. So, although he's passed, we have 3 of his daughters and I think 4 granddaughters... his line has done amazing at producing hens and not a single roo since him.
I love both extremely large breeds like our brahmas, as well as our short and fat cochin crosses, and tiny little bantams. Basically, anything that's not gangly looking goes.
And lastly, I'm not going out looking for super expensive birds since I really like and prefer to crossbreed so there's no sense in spending a bunch just for the breed name.

Temperament is most important to me. I have a mixed flock that hasn't started laying yet. I will ALWAYS recommend Dominique chickens because they are very sweet and docile. Mine like to be held.
20200804_082514.jpg
20200627_082326.jpg

If you choose other, please reply with what you look for.
I voted other.. reason being, ALL of the above! :thumbsup

Multiple breeds for multiple reasons.. and all being selected to be the best of the best for whichever their purpose.. eggs, meat, eye candy.. the whole cha cha. :wee

Other considerations for me are predator wariness, forage capabilities, confinement tolerance when needed, and sell-ability both cost and popularity of offspring. :)

Still reading through other posts. :cool:

There is one characteristic missing. Because it isn’t a thing you can choose.

But I would like it if I could choose in loudness. I would love a breed with roosters that don’t give the alarm 🚨.

It would be so great to have a (bantam) rooster that doesn’t wake me and the neighbourhood up every morning at sunrise 🌅 .

Back
Top Bottom