Official BYC Poll: What Do You Do With Your Aggressive Roosters?

What Do You Do With Your Aggressive Roosters?

• I discipline/train them as adults

Votes: 74 22.8%
  • I train/tame them from young

Votes: 97 29.8%
  • I re-home/give them away

Votes: 81 24.9%
  • They end up in my pot

Votes: 134 41.2%
  • I've never had an aggressive rooster

Votes: 38 11.7%
  • I don't have/keep any roosters

Votes: 42 12.9%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 31 9.5%

• Total voters
Pics

BYC Project Manager

BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Feb 22, 2009
Male chickens (roosters) are naturally more aggressive than females, it's just the natural order of things. It is his job to defend his flock against threats from predators and other roosters that might be looking to mate with his hens. It's his responsibility to care for the flock and its needs and that includes mating with as many hens as possible to ensure the success of his flock. Roosters are wired to protect the hens.

While roosters are a beautiful (and loud) addition to every flock, fear of an aggressive rooster can make many people back down. So we have to ask: What Do You Do With Your Aggressive Roosters?

Place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".

OFFICIAL BYC POLL (31).png

Further Reading:

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)

Last edited:
I haven't had any aggressive roosters yet. My in-town rooster was a mild-mannered Light Brahma. The "Red Boys", my packing peanuts, were eaten at the age where they started to get annoying so potential aggression hadn't shown up yet.

I am getting some straight-run chicks this year and plan to eat any aggressive cockerels.

I put them in “jail” for a month or so if they’re super aggressive towards the other birds. My one mega aggressive roo we had (which was our first experience with a rooster lol) was so bad that we’d go in the coop with one of those cheep plastic wiffle ball bats to defend ourselves. He got better as a free ranged. The ground rules kind of became you run at me and I run at you.

When I was real little we would butcher them. Now that I have my own chickens I have only had one mean rooster. A little Silver Duckwing. As long as he was not at the top of the pecking order he was good. For 2 years he should come a flog my leg or my hand when giving them their food. Finally this year he calmed down and was very nice. I pretty much didn't pay attention to him when he did it.

Back
Top Bottom