Official BYC Poll: What type of COOP bedding do you like best?

Which type of COOP bedding do you like best?

• Total voters
Pics
Thank you. We will probably do that then.
What you need to do about the wood chips is to get a truckload dumped in an out-of-the-way corner so they can age until no longer green and wet.

Chickens love to eat bugs. The bugs that were in the pine straw I raked up to throw in the run made new bedding = snacktime.
Have you ever had a problem with chicks eating the wood shavings and getting diarrhea? They are pulling at the puppy pad underneath it in the brooder pen and scratching around like crazy and pecking it too. I’m thinking they are ingesting something there or too much of the wood shavings. I have had them on the same thing for five weeks and have not had a bit of problem and no pasty butt issues at all not one issue. Now at week 5 and watery stools. I’m wondering what is going on. They look ratty because they are almost completely feathered except their heads. Of course. Do they feel bad as chicks when their feathers grow in like they do when they molt?

I’ve used multiple types of bedding and what works best for me is Rapeseed bedding!

Stays super dry and doesn’t stick onto feather footed breeds like other beddings do.

I use this is all my coops but I do also use it in the runs and brooders, it goes in them all.

I use sand on the ground floor and shavings/grass/leaves and other materials on the poop board. As long as it is good for making compost. The chickens can go outside to the run from dawn - dusk and rarely poop in the coop-sand.

Now at week 5 and watery stools. I’m wondering what is going on. They look ratty because they are almost completely feathered except their heads. Of course. Do they feel bad as chicks when their feathers grow in like they do when they molt?
@thepick4uchicks would be good to start a new thread here on this.
Show brooder and describe what all you feed.

You say bedding?? not nesting box and not flooring, but you included Gravel, Concrete, Bare wood & Grass so I am assuming you mean flooring- this is the size of my coop floor-
MVI_0877_Moment(2).jpg hredirect2 (2).jpg
Every March & October I sweep down the walls and in Oct. I add 9 bags of playground sand. These pic's are before I swept down the walls. This year I am repainting. With the sand I dont have any odor! I use a cat litter scoop every morning .

IMG_0792.JPG

IMG_0985.JPG

Back
Top Bottom