Official BYC Poll: Where Do You Buy Your Feed From & Why?

Where do you buy feed (and explain why below)?

• Total voters
Pics

HuffleClaw

Sudden Reptile Fanatic
5 Years
Jul 8, 2018
Alabama
I’m talking about poultry feed, dog feed, cat feed, etc! Where do you purchase it from?

Personally, I figured out it was in my pocketbook’s best interest that I buy at our local feed & seed! At TSC, I was paying $17.50 per 40lb bag of feed :eek: I can get the same thing (in a bigger bag) for less money at my local feed store. I get 4, 50lb bags of feed right at $48.50 from the feed store. That’s somewhere around 12 bucks per bag. I’ve probably saved hundreds since swapping.

Open discussion... Where do you buy your feed from, and why?

official byc poll.jpg

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I buy from a local family owned feed and seed store. The prices are competitive with the co-op across town and they are like 2 minutes from my work. If I lived on the west side of town I’d buy from the co-op, but I’m a east side chicken man. I pay $8.50 for 50lbs. of 22% layer feed. They know me. The guys outside ask me what I’m getting and it’s in my truck before I can get to the counter inside. That goes a long way with me. I have to agree with another post that said they would get out of chickens if TSC was the only place to buy feed.

Tractor supply, usually. Sometimes wslmart or big lots. We used to have a proper feed store but it had a horrible owner for the longest time and when the store finally got new owners, it couldn't live down the stigma. I buy chicken a cat feed at tsc but since I buy wild bird seed as scratch, I'll buy where ever it's cheapest by the pound.

I recently started getting my dog and chicken feed ( kalmbach) from chewy. I was sick of running from TSC to feed Stores looking for fresh feed. I’d spend days driving around looking for feed, seems like everyone was cleaning out their warehouses and selling bags 6 or more months old. It’s a little more expensive but I get it 2 days after I order it on my door step. so far both orders the bags were less than 6 weeks from manufactured date and I’m saving on gas any store is at least 30 minutes from me.
I really like the kalmbach feed there was literally no dust in the bags. I dump my bags in a metal trash can and when I got to the end I noticed absolutely not dust in there or left over in the feeders when i fill them in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom