Duck Egg in a Hole
cover-image

Ingredients
  • 1 ½ teaspoons of butter or bacon grease

• 1 slice bread

• 1 egg

• 1 pinch salt and ground black pepper to taste

Instructions
  • Melt the butter or bacon grease in a non-stick pan over low heat.
  • Cut a 3-inch hole from the center of the bread slice; lay in the hot skillet. When the side facing down is lightly toasted, about 2 minutes, flip and crack the egg into the hole; season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook until the egg is cooked and mostly firm. Flip again and cook 1 minute more to assure doneness on both sides. Serve immediately.

DSCN3883.JPG

DSCN3885.JPG

DSCN3887.JPG
We call it birdy in the nest

I'm going to have to go with the classic fried egg. I have had two fried eggs for breakfast every single day for at least two years. I use a cast iron skillet, preheated on low for a couple of minutes, and fry in bacon grease. I usually eat my breakfast with two slices of homemade sourdough toast, but on this day I decided to make buttermilk pancakes! I'll have avocado or fruit on the side. I usually top my eggs with hot sauce and when available, a ginger scallion oil which is to die for!
IMG_6843.jpg

I'm going to have to go with the classic fried egg. I have had two fried eggs for breakfast every single day for at least two years. I use a cast iron skillet, preheated on low for a couple of minutes, and fry in bacon grease. I usually eat my breakfast with two slices of homemade sourdough toast, but on this day I decided to make buttermilk pancakes! I'll have avocado or fruit on the side. I usually top my eggs with hot sauce and when available, a ginger scallion oil which is to die for!
View attachment 2512769

That looks so good!
drool.gif

Recipe 1: Egg and Cheese Tortillas

Serves 2 greedy people.:D

Ingredients:
- 5 or 6 medium eggs (more if small, less if large), lightly whisked and seasoned
- 2 flour tortillas
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 sliced or chopped small red chilli
- 1 cup of small/chopped veg (I used peas and spring onions as I had them, bell pepper would work great)
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (something that melts, I used cheddar)
- salt and pepper
- optional extra would be some sort of sauce like chilli sauce, I used some homemade harissa paste

Method (makes 1 at a time):

1. Fry half your onion and half your veg in a little heated oil in a small omelette sized pan, seasoning as you go. When the veg is cooked, add half the egg mixture and cook your omelette. Make sure the pan is not too hot so that it can cook through without burning underneath. In the meantime, toast both your flour tortillas on both sides in a dry frying pan and set aside.

2. Add a teeny bit of oil to your larger frying pan and start that heating up. When your omelette is just cooked through to the top, place one of your toasted tortillas on top and press it down gently so that it sticks to the omelette. Flip it all over (I used a plate to do this) so that your tortilla is now underneath. Add half the grated cheese to one side of the omelette and a little drizzle of harissa or chilli sauce if desired.

3. Fold the bare half over the cheesy half and move your tortilla to your larger pan. Fry for just a minute or two on both sides, to give some colour and to help the cheese to melt.

4. Slice and eat! Then make the next one! 69CAAC47-7509-456D-A3AA-AF901A5045D3.jpeg 64A6FD81-571A-4A97-B24C-732B722DC243.jpeg 33C732DD-7D55-4B84-9CA9-1055F17DA3EC.jpeg 7529C94E-A5DA-45A4-BBA0-10EFC1FFE325.jpeg 5143BB41-749E-488C-904E-C63FB6BF85B8.jpeg

Entry #1
9F61CA87-A4D2-4DD9-895C-FBB5654FF117.jpeg

Flan Recipe

6 eggs
12oz can sweetened condensed milk (lechera)
2 - 12oz cans of evaporated milk
1/2 cup of sugar *optional
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 to 3/8 cup of sugar

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Pour 1/4 to 3/8 cup of sugar into a warm pan over medium heat. Stir occasionally until it turns brown and into caramel. Don’t let it burn or it will have a burnt taste.

Once it has turned into caramel, immediately add to the flanera or circle cake pan and carefully cover the entire bottom of the pan. Set aside.

Whisk eggs in a large bowl.

Add in the 12 oz can of sweetened condensed milk (lechera) and two 12 oz cans of evaporated milk. Mix together.

Add 1/2 cup of sugar and 1 tsp of vanilla extract. Blend until smooth. *the 1/2 cup of sugar is optional depending on how rich you want the flan.

Pour mixture unto the flanera or cake pan.

Get a deep square pan that will hold the flanera or cake pan. Place the flanera or cake pan inside the square pan and fill the pan with hot water up to 2 inches.

If you don’t have a flanera and will be using a circle cake pan, cover it well with foil.

Depending on the size of the flanera / cake pan it may take 45 mins to an hour and a half. Check at 45 mins, then 60 mins then in 5 to 10 min increments after that.

To check run a knife down the center and it should come out clean and the texture should be like jello.

Once it’s done, let it cool for an hour. Then place it in the refrigerator (covered) overnight or for a minimum of 1 hour.

Get a large plate with rounded edges to keep the caramel from dripping everywhere and place on top of flanera and flip it. With a little tapping it should come out if it didn’t get overcooked, which causes the edges to stick.

Serve & enjoy

side note: depending on how small the cake pan or flanera is, the mixture will be too much, so either make some mini flans with the leftover amount or cut the recipe in half.

Attachments

• 45F1B426-02E7-4662-92EE-34CB39EC6A1C.jpeg
    45F1B426-02E7-4662-92EE-34CB39EC6A1C.jpeg
    271.4 KB · Views: 4
  • B13145CA-7DD2-4099-A1AA-58A92AECE76C.jpeg
    B13145CA-7DD2-4099-A1AA-58A92AECE76C.jpeg
    290 KB · Views: 4
  • C957A0CF-47E1-4C9E-AC15-4EFE685FA424.jpeg
    C957A0CF-47E1-4C9E-AC15-4EFE685FA424.jpeg
    347.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Recipe 1: Open Faced Egg Salad Sandwiches - I like open faced sandwiches, fork and knife style. The ham, while optional, adds a slightly salty punch, but you can skip it if you don't eat meat/pork.

INGREDIENTS

6 eggs
2 Tbsp mayonnaise
½ Tbsp Dijon mustard
½ Tbsp dried dill
1 stalk celery, chopped
3 sweet pickles, chopped (or 1 Tbsp sweet relish)
diced ham (optional, I usually use about 2 oz)
6 slices sandwich bread

PREPARATION

Hard boil eggs. Set aside to cool down, then peel and roughly chop.

Mix eggs with remaining ingredients minus the bread. Cover and chill, then serve open faced on lightly toasted bread.

Makes 3 servings.

eggsalad.jpg

Last edited:
Recipe 2: Corn Pudding - A popular dish for Thanksgiving at my house. Sweet and rich without being overly sweet.

INGREDIENTS

3 eggs (2 whole, 1 white only)
3/4 cup heavy cream
3 Tbsp butter, melted
2 ½ Tbsp sugar
1 ½ Tbsp flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
3 cups thawed frozen or fresh corn kernels (3 to 4 ears)

PREPARATION

Whisk together eggs, cream and melted butter in a large bowl. Gradually add sugar, flour, baking powder and salt, whisking until smooth. Stir in corn. Pour mixture into lightly oiled casserole.

Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes, then uncover and bake an additional 40 minutes or until pudding is set and deep golden. Let stand 5 minutes.

Makes 6 servings.

cornpudding.jpg

Last edited:
Recipe 3: Apple and Cinnamon Strata - This is my go-to Christmas brunch dish! Make it the day before, and just pop it in the oven on Christmas morning.

INGREDIENTS

1/2 Tbsp butter
2 Golden Delicious apples, peeled and thinly sliced
3 Tbsp sugar
6 slices cinnamon bread, cut in half diagonally
1/3 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 eggs

PREPARATION

Grease a 8x8" dish with a bit of butter.

Melt remaining butter in a large skillet. Add apple and 1 Tbsp sugar to pan, and cook 8-10 minutes until apple is tender and lightly browned. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

Arrange 6 half-pieces of bread in dish (ideally should neatly cover the bottom). Top with apple, then half the pecans. Add remaining half-pieces of bread to cover and sprinkle on remaining pecans.

Combine the remaining sugar, milk, cinnamon and eggs in a bowl, whisking until blended. Pour egg mixture over bread, pressing down to ensure that all bread is soaked in egg. Plastic wrap tightly and refrigerate overnight.

The next morning, preheat oven to 350°. Remove plastic wrap. Bake
at 350° for 50 minutes until golden brown and set.

Makes 2-3 servings.

applestrata.jpg

Recipe 3: Apple and Cinnamon Strata - This is my go-to Christmas brunch dish! Make it the day before, and just pop it in the oven on Christmas morning.

INGREDIENTS

1/2 Tbsp butter
2 Golden Delicious apples, peeled and thinly sliced
3 Tbsp sugar
6 slices cinnamon bread, cut in half diagonally
1/3 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 eggs

PREPARATION

Grease a 8x8" dish with a bit of butter.

Melt remaining butter in a large skillet. Add apple and 1 Tbsp sugar to pan, and cook 8-10 minutes until apple is tender and lightly browned. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

Arrange 6 half-pieces of bread in dish (ideally should neatly cover the bottom). Top with apple, then half the pecans. Add remaining half-pieces of bread to cover and sprinkle on remaining pecans.

Combine the remaining sugar, milk, cinnamon and eggs in a bowl, whisking until blended. Pour egg mixture over bread, pressing down to ensure that all bread is soaked in egg. Plastic wrap tightly and refrigerate overnight.

The next morning, preheat oven to 350°. Remove plastic wrap. Bake
at 350° for 50 minutes until golden brown and set.

Makes 2-3 servings.

View attachment 2516859

Mmmm this looks especially yummy 🤤

Back
Top Bottom