Official Pagan Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I had a craptastic day!!!
roll.png
Work has been very stressful lately - for all of us, not just me. We have so much more reporting to do since that danged American Recovery & recussitation Act was passed. Not only do we not know what we are doing,but neither does the government!!!!

I wanted to share with you all one of my poems. We've had several new people wander in who are searching for direction in their spiritual path. I know what it is like to search for you belong. I know what it is like to be shot down by people who tell you that where you are headed is wrong. Trust me, the search and all that you go through is all worth it.

I wrote this poem after reading, "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sing" by Mya Angelou.

SPIRIT CRIES

The free spirit soars
upon the crystal clear skys
and upon a path lit
with the love of the Creator
sure and steady footing
confident in where
all this will lead.

But the broken spirit
locked within walls of pain
never sees past the darkness
that surrounds him
anger and fear bind him to the walls
but yet still he trys to sing.

This broken spirit sings
with mournful wails
of things lost
but still with dreams
of release from the torment
that holds so tight
for this broken spirit
sings of love.

The free spirit dreams of what is to come
the promises of the Great Mystery
the harmony lived by one and all
and this spirit soars on.

But the broken spirit fights to survive
as darkness closes in.
anger and fear bind him to the walls
but yet still he trys to sing.

This broken spirit sings
with mournful wails
of things lost
but still with dreams
of release from the torment
that holds so tight
for this broken spirit
sings of love.

Last edited:
Quote:
Paths: It's a generic term for religions or religious-type beliefs. The way it's generally used...to say "Pagan paths", it's sort of like different denominations in Christianity. It can also be used by pagans to refer to 'multiple different religions *including* Jewish/Christian/Muslim. It depends on context. I think the main reason people use the term "paths" is because of the individual variation in belief. Pagan groups, in general, do not have dogma/doctrine..."sets" of belief that you have to agree with the whole set to be a part of the group. "Wiccan" is no more specific than "Christian". "Pagan" is even less specific
smile.png

Neopaganism (modern paganism, which is understood to be different 'paganism' that refers to non-Christian beliefs of cultures before contact with Christian missionaries, etc) is a big umbrella that includes religious beliefs that may be very, very different from each other - the only thing they have in common is that they are not Jewish/Muslim/Christian. "People of the Book" (J/M/C who at least, between them, believe they follow the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob) lump us all together, and we acknowledge that
wink.png

Goddess: When Pagans refer to "the Goddess" they are generally referring to a "Great Goddess"...who has some aspects of Mother Earth and can be associated with her but not necessarily. Many pagans believe that 'all goddesses are faces or aspects of one Great Goddess'...before She got split up and 'specialized.' Some Pagans believe in specific, separate individual Gods and Goddesses with individual personalities. Even ancient peoples didn't necessarily agree whether 'the Goddess Diana worshiped by those folks over there" was the same as "the Artemis we worship over here." Some thought so, some disagreed (religious debate never changes). As far as paganism (ancient and modern) always being associated with "nature"...ancient pagan religions were not necessarily rural...prior to the establishment of Israel, all the cities were pagan, remember...a lot of ancient paganism involved urban religious practices with their gods and goddesses.

Magick: Not all of us do that. Some of us think, deep down, it's kind of dumb
wink.png
big_smile.png
The reason that people do it, is to differentiate between "stage magic"...tricks performed as entertainment...and "magick" - a practice intended to achieve real results in the real world, no fakes, no tricks. Not all magick is religious, either. Some people practice religious magic, some people practice magic(k) that is not religious in nature but is intended to achieve real results. And, for the record, I personally believe that when Christian groups do group prayer to achieve a 'supernatural' result (miracle...get their God to act)...what they are doing (directing energy..."praying hard") is the exact same thing as what neopagans and others who practice magic(k) are doing. And when it works, it works for the exact same reason. (caveat: I don't believe in the "supernatural"...I believe there are things we can't explain, but I believe if something occurs, it is by definition 'natural'...not 'supernatural')

More than you wanted to know?

And...as an aside...Darn! I miss all the excitement. Am I a horrible person for being incredibly nosey and wishing I knew what was said?
lol.png

Edited to add: The pentagram was a Christian symbol in the middle ages...one of the things it was said to represent was the 5 wounds of Christ. I wish I could find the picture again, but I have seen at least one picture of a medieval Cathedral whose big circular stained glass window was a pentagram...

Last edited:
Whoa, seems I sure missed a lot today while at work!
lol.png

CoyoteMagic, gorgeous poem! Love love love it!

Keep the good energy flowin', peeps! I'm off to Berkeley, maybe I'll stop by a metaphysical store (I'm sure there's lots in that city!) to see what they have!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom