Official Poll: How old is / was your oldest chicken?

How old is / was your oldest chicken?

• 5 Years

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • 6 Years

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • 7 Years

• 8 Years

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • 9 Years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10 Years

• 11 Years

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • 12 Years

• 13 Years

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • 14 Years

• 15 Years

• 16 Years +

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
I only voted 5yrs. because I wanted to see the results then saw what the OP said. Sorry!!! MY oldest rooster is almost three
wink.png

(I've had chickens sinse 2009)

Last edited:
This is my oldest hen, Ethyl. She was sold to me as a Partridge Chentechler(sp?), she's 6 years old now and the sole survivor on my very first flock. Her rooster, Mr. Red passed away just last week- he died in his sleep, I found him dead on the roost bar with his head tucked behind his wing
hit.gif
he was my very first rooster and the best one I ever had. Ethyl is a good girl and still lays about 3 eggs per week. Pictured with her is our new flockmaster BP (Buff Puff-hes a BO/Silkie mix). I hatched him out last spring and raised him in my pocket. He brings me a treat every morning and puts it on my knee when i croutch down to visit with everyone I
love.gif
Ethyl and BP
86165_2011-06-13_17-23-36_994.jpg

I didn't exactly raise her as a baby so I'm not sure if my hen counts but I got a free hen that was 4 years old. I kept her until she was 9 years old almost 10!!! Then a dog sadly tore her leg off and she passed away
sad.png
I forgot about her but this poll brought back great memories
smile.png
R.I.P Julie
smile.png
She was an incredible broody had more than 10 clutches in 4 years
smile.png
She was a very pretty bird as well. She had some buff brahma coloring she was about half the size of a brahma though
tongue.png
She had a crest, and layed small pink eggs. I miss her so much more now
sad.png

I 'm a new egg and so are my hens we'v known each other 6 months and they were just sterting to lay when we met

This might not count because they don't belong to me.......but my girlfriend who is not online has some birds 14 years old. And by the looks of their spurs and cataracts you would believe it. She is as devoted to them as anyone I've ever met and has maybe 40 roosters alone. None every bother/attack her and I call her the real chicken whisperer because she understands them so well.:<) She is self taught and just loves them so hard they seem to live forever. Good job I say. And they aren't coddled. Just kept safe ...secure and fed well every day. Bout 100or more of them in all as she rescues when she feels the need. I just didn't know chickens could live that long.
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom