Official Poll: How old is / was your oldest chicken?

How old is / was your oldest chicken?

• 5 Years

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • 6 Years

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • 7 Years

• 8 Years

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • 9 Years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10 Years

• 11 Years

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • 12 Years

• 13 Years

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • 14 Years

• 15 Years

• 16 Years +

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
It's VERY reassuring to see some older chickens listed! My Clarice is 8, and I thought that was old, so I'm glad to see that it's not! She's still laying (not that I care if she does or not--mine are pets) but I assume it's a sign of good health
smile.png
).

Last edited:
Quote:
If I didn't have all the terriers I have I'd love to take mine out to the garden with me. But I can't get rid of the terriers either, love them to death.

Im thinking of making some sort of garden row tractor, long and narrow that can be pulled into different rows and left for a day, then moved to a different row the next day and so on. Yeah! That'll be my next project.

My little old lady, Hannah Banana, is eleven years old and still laying eggs.

It's is really heartwarming to see 16 year-olds on the board. It hope little Banana lives a healthy
life that long. I'm so attached to her by now I can't even think of losing her.

She acts the same as the two-year olds. She jumps up on bush limbs, boulders, and tables in the chicken yard. She takes dirt baths
and flulfs her feathers right along with the youngsters.

She chases around the yard and still goes broody occassionally.

I'm always so comforted to see that she appears strong and happy.

So far, so good.

Geri

My oldest two are fourteen and still going strong! You'd never be able to guess which ones are the old girls out of the group. Incidentally, both of my older hens are bantams. In my experience, bantams, game-types, and mixed-breeds live the longest.

I also have several hens that are older than ten and still doing great.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom