Official Seed Exchange/swap Thread ***SIGN UP CLOSED***

Quote:
I like growing them, awfully easy. I would suggest putting them in pots, or at least mulch underneath. They grow right tight to the ground. Black plastic would probably be a good mulch, I used straw this year and the husks blend in. The fruit is kinda citrusy, definitely sweet; some people like it, some don't. DH is a big fan of them, and he's a picky eater.
wink.png

I just love getting new seeds and plants, I am very happy with everything in this swap. The ones I'm most excited about: hollyhocks, blue poppy, and I haven't grown 4 o'clocks in years. I just love new bean varieties, scarlett runners were on my list. This northern girl doesn't know what to do about okra.
lol.png
Educate me. And thrilled with the walking onion.
big_smile.png
I think I need to get to work digging a new bed or two before winter closes in.

Quote:
I like growing them, awfully easy. I would suggest putting them in pots, or at least mulch underneath. They grow right tight to the ground. Black plastic would probably be a good mulch, I used straw this year and the husks blend in. The fruit is kinda citrusy, definitely sweet; some people like it, some don't. DH is a big fan of them, and he's a picky eater.
wink.png

I just love getting new seeds and plants, I am very happy with everything in this swap. The ones I'm most excited about: hollyhocks, blue poppy, and I haven't grown 4 o'clocks in years. I just love new bean varieties, scarlett runners were on my list. This northern girl doesn't know what to do about okra.
lol.png
Educate me
. And thrilled with the walking onion.
big_smile.png
I think I need to get to work digging a new bed or two before winter closes in.

If you have never eaten okra (I had not until I was an older teen, not being originally from the south) it has a different texture then any other veggie you have ever eaten. It is slimey, the amount of slime cannot be over stated, seriously. The plants and pods have "prickels" on them that cause a little bit of rash when you pick them (so were gloves). Until this year I had not ever found a way to eat okra that was even bearable, let alone palatable. I grew them this year for the chickens as they are high in the "B" vitamins, and trace minerals. They are also low in calories. By far the most popular way to prepare them in the south is to slice and batter coat them and deep fry, or cornmeal coat and pan fry w/ generous grease. The pods get very fiberous and tough as they get big so most are picked less then 6 inches. What I have found though is to pick very small (the size of your finger/thumb) pan sear them whole w/ a spicey mixed seasoning of your choice and butter. The flavor is actually good, and the texture this way is hard to describe, but as close as I can think is a cross between an alvacodo and and aspargus. I have never liked okra before but have been eating them a lot this way this year and really like them.

Oh I almost forgot, this year I have sliced and seasoned (same seasonings as I cook them in) and dehydrate them, that has been awesome, good taste and crunchy texture and no added fat, calories and cholesterol.

The plants grow well in the heat, they don't like cool much, the small young leaves look like marijuana actually, then they widen. The plants are very pretty and would be just as nice in a flower bed as a veggie garden. The leaves are deep green w/ burgandy/red centers, the flowers resemble a yellow hibiscus w/ a burgandy center and prominant stamin. The plants get very large 5 foot +, the stem is very large thick and fiberous.

Last edited:
Amyable,

We get those baggies at WalMart, they're in the crafting section and usually come in small, medium and large. I love using them for seeds and for separating beads and findings from our jewelry making supplies.

Kassaundra,

We love the purple sprouting broccoli, this was my first year growing it and wish I had planted more as we usually only harvest enough to add raw to our home-grown salads. I like the lemon cukes as hubby doesn't eat them so they're small enough for me to get my fill without having half of one sitting in the fridge until I'm in a cuke mood again. Plus, they don't come back to haunt me, like most other cuke varieties do.

Thank you all again, can't wait until it's cold enough to get started on my winter sowing!

Well, I need to get busy on our watermelon wine project but will post more once it's done!

Quote:
I just noticed I have several seedlings in my walkway that I will have to re-home. SUPER easy to grow and they pretty much take care of themselves. Mine do not get any direct watering and they do well.

What are you going to use borage as a campanion to?

Czech's_chicks :

Quote:
I just noticed I have several seedlings in my walkway that I will have to re-home. SUPER easy to grow and they pretty much take care of themselves. Mine do not get any direct watering and they do well.

What are you going to use borage as a campanion to?

Mostly for tomato, it is suppose to deter tomato horn worm.​

Clairabean I have a question about the marigold seeds, do you know if they are african, mexican, or french? I was doing some research on the calendula, next year I'm going to have the prettiest salads in Henryetta between the calendula, nastursiums and borage flowers

hu.gif
Not one clue. I have been planting and harvesting these seeds for years. No idea, sorry. But they are pompommyish.
wink.png

Guess what I got this afternoon??
celebrate.gif

They are even better in real life. I want to roll in them with glee.

I may be the only Canadian who has okra seeds.
tongue.gif
Today was 13*C (about 53*F) and I can dream of summer.....

Back
Top Bottom