Officially Molting Season!

hannahrachel

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 12, 2013
Kansas

Holland is going through a terribly rough molt right now. There are feathers all over the coop! I'm looking forward to shiny new feathers later this fall :D

2 of my Buffs started molting 2 weeks ago. The first week I cleaned up a bucket full of feathers just from 2 chickens. I knew they could do this at 18 mo old, but sure did not expect this in August, but evidently late summer is common.

Looks like yours is doing the soft molt like mine. Don't think I could stand dealing with a totally naked chicken!

2 of my Buffs started molting 2 weeks ago.  The first week I cleaned up a bucket full of feathers just from 2 chickens.  I knew they could do this at 18 mo old, but sure did not expect this in August, but evidently late summer is common.

Looks like yours is doing the soft molt like mine.  Don't think I could stand dealing with a totally naked chicken! 

I wasn't expecting molt to start until at least the middle of September! It looks like they all have started, judging by the rough condition of everyone's feathers. I'll be trying to supplement more protein in their diets soon :)

I wasn't expecting molt to start until at least the middle of September! It looks like they all have started, judging by the rough condition of everyone's feathers. I'll be trying to supplement more protein in their diets soon
smile.png
I have been giving mine cooked eggs, mealy worms. Their new feathers are coming in quite well. Interesting but 2 Buffs are showing the most action in the molting contest, but 1 who has always been a "little different" and a little more orange than blonde doesn't seem to be molting. Maybe just slower and not as evident. I didn't think the Barred rocks were molting - don't see many of their feathers in the coop or run, but seeing the new growth on their behinds, so know they are also molting.

There is a feed called Feather Fixer that is supposed to help with shortening the molting issues….not sold here in our stores but can be ordered on net, may help?

My chickens are 8 weeks old and I'm finding some feathers around theit area. Is it normal for them to molt so soon?

Back
Top Bottom