Oh boy, which to choose?

I don't know anything about showing, so I don't know if it is a breed that you can show, but I would look into Seramas. From what I understand they can be VERY small and so would be good for little hands and can be kept in a large bird cage. They are bred for personality. They are beautiful. Check out www.castledelightseramas.com. She seems wonderful. People rave about her birds and her hatching eggs. I am on the verge of breaking down and getting some myself...
big_smile.png

Quote:
Those are really nice.
I might have to contact the local serama breeder. Those are fantastic. I wonder if she will be able to make a decision with all this great info.

Quote:
Those are really nice.
I might have to contact the local serama breeder. Those are fantastic. I wonder if she will be able to make a decision with all this great info.

I would really like to have a roo, but haven't wanted to risk it. I think I could get away with a roo serama. I found this on youtube... so cute.

Last edited:
Quote:
Those are really nice.

I would really like to have a roo, but haven't wanted to risk it. I think I could get away with a roo serama. I found this on youtube... so cute.

I think she is settled with seramas. We could probably get away with a roo as well. I like their whisper crow.

This is sort of coming at a good time. Her favorite chicken doesn't look like it is going to make it. It's a silkie that is barely even pet quality. Started walking on its legs a little while ago. We've babied it since January but I think tonight is the night. After we get a few things in order about serama living arrangements and the duties that come along with taking a bird to show I will try to get some eggs for my broody to hatch out. That seems to be the plan for now but may change in the near future.

I thank all of you for your great info!

Quote:

I think she is settled with seramas. We could probably get away with a roo as well. I like their whisper crow.

This is sort of coming at a good time. Her favorite chicken doesn't look like it is going to make it. It's a silkie that is barely even pet quality. Started walking on its legs a little while ago. We've babied it since January but I think tonight is the night. After we get a few things in order about serama living arrangements and the duties that come along with taking a bird to show I will try to get some eggs for my broody to hatch out. That seems to be the plan for now but may change in the near future.

I thank all of you for your great info!

Be sure to post picks..

Quote:
I'll have to look it up.

Why do you think they make a good choice for first timers?

Sweet birds with lots of gentle personality. I much prefer brahmas over cochins or orpingtons. But that is MY opinion. You need something that will sing to your daughter's heart and light her eyes on fire.

Cindilou- yes, I was at the dinner the other night. My names Michaela (I did the poultry project and got a gold achievement award. I was also up there with county council). About County Congress-it can be for all ages. It is basically about how to complete a 4-H project and how to get started. Who is the serama breeder that you know of in the area? Is it Sandi? If she decides to hatch eggs at school, chicks can go to other 4-Hers, or you can sell them (craigslist is always great). There is also a lady in the area that takes poultry and tries to find places for them to go. I'm going to be hatching some old english game bantam eggs. If I have any extra chicks, I can sell them to you. The ones we are ordering are supposedly show quality and npip (we are ordering them on ebay).

Quote:
I met a guy named Clarence that breeds seramas a while ago through Craigslist. He had a website called dixiebirds but I don't see it now. I traded him an EE rooster for a hen because he also has blue egg layers. I'm not sure how much they cost yet. He showed me his prize winning seramas. They were neat.
Old English seem neat as well. Do the boys sound loud or softer like the seramas? I am not supposed to have boys, though.
I had a kind of stinky experience with birds from Sandi. I don't know if it was just bad luck or what but I only have 1 of 4 birds left from when I bought from her. We put the silkie down tonight from her and the other silkie died on its own and she thought she was selling me buff orps but they were actually male and female golden comets. I know a lot more now than I did then so I think I will chalk it up to inexperience on my part.
Do you have poultry meetings too or just do it on your own? We could hang out and do chicken things at some point. Give Maxine some pointers on showing a bird!
My EE from Clarence is broody again so I could get some eggs but I think I need to wait for just a bit, double check a few things, and I am taking a short vacation in Sept so I don't want to leave the broody business on the shoulders of my roommate. I'm sure everything would be fine but I would like them to hatch after we get back.
It's always nice to meet people that are close by!
Cindi

Back
Top Bottom