Oh god help me is this bumble foot?

okiemamachick

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 11, 2015
Oklahoma
Hello I purchased a pair of welsummers today a hen and and rooster and when the lady was loading the hen up I saw something on the top of her foot I thought it was a bit of poo/bedding stuck to her toe and now that I'm home (two hours away) I see this! What should I do?!?

Ok so you see the pic and still recommend I try and cut out the kernel. Should I remove all the black stuff? Antibiotic powder where do I get that? As a matter of fact where do I get oral antibiotics? Should I do several days of soaking then attempt surgery? I even considered giving her an entire bath but I don't want to stress her. Should I bring her in while she ailing right now I have her in a secluded run with the rooster she came with. I was planning on doing that anyway by means of a quarantine till I knew all was clear as far as other diseases are concerned.
Take a deep breath...

Firstly you need to read up on the alternatives...if you do opt for surgery you will need:

Betadine solution which is used in water to thoroughly cleanse the foot...before surgery.

A scalpel to cut into the foot...you need to remove the black/brown scab and cut deeper into the foot to find and remove the kernel...have plenty of betadine solution to swab and clean the area as you progress deeper into the foot...you can gently squeeze/massage the area to help remove the kernel...some will pop out easily..some are stringy and very difficult to remove...they can take several attempts at removal...

You should be able to buy an antibiotic powder from a Tractor Supply...I am sure that somebody here can correct me on that if I am wrong...I use an antibiotic powder that I have here for my horses...I buy online.

You should hopefully not need an oral antibiotic...once the surgery is completed...you should apply the antibiotic powder...apply non stick gauze and finish by applying Vetwrap...ensure the chicken is kept in clean and dry conditions while it is recovering...change the dressing after 48 hours and change every few days after...

Some people advocate soaking for a few days before any attempt at removal...usually they will attempt removal with tweezers....BUT...the longer the infection is left in the foot the higher the risk of the infection spreading...better to soak for 15 minutes before surgery and get the problem sorted...

Hope that has helped...

I recommend you take this one thing at a time. I understand how panicky you may be feeling at the prospect of surgery because I was in your shoes just this past summer facing this same issue. It can feel daunting.

I discovered four of my five one-year old Welsummers had Bumblefoot. First I panicked because I had read accounts of the surgery and treatments for Bumblefoot and I really didn't feel capable of cutting into their precious little feet and just the thought of it petrified me. And I was also ashamed that I had allowed conditions that contributed to their injuries. So my brain was pretty much over-run with crazy thinking and fear.

Then I read an account of Bumblefoot treatment that didn't require surgery. So I calmed down and tried to simplify my thinking. I could do this!

The first thing I did was to get a basin of very warm water with a liberal amount of Epsom salts dissolved in it and got together the first aid supplies I'd need:

Vet wrap cut into 1" x 12" strips - one for each foot you have to treat
Vetericyn spray or gel (pricey stuff but it works miracles)
Triple antibiotic ointment
Q Tips
Non-stick bandaids
Cuticle scissors

Have everything set up with a seat for you to be comfortable, and towels to wrap and dry the patient.
You will be soaking the hen's foot, or both feet if both feet are infected, for at least fifteen minutes. Try to soak them longer since it appears to be such a large area.

After all the soaking, the black scabby part should be loose around the edges. Wrap your hen securely in a towel so she doesn't get nervous and flap her wings. Lay her across your lap so you can comfortably work on her feet. She will be calm and probably won't struggle. If she does, speak to her quietly until she settles down.

Take your thumb or finger nail and very gently start prying loose the scab, working inward. If it won't budge, soak her foot some more. Keep working the scab loose until you get to the "kernel" at the center. You'll know it when you see it. You need to remove it.

If you can't work it loose from the foot pad, you may need the cuticle scissors to sever any tissue that doesn't want to let go.

You will now have a cavity. You need to clean out every bit of gunk or dark matter. It may bleed a tiny bit, but you need to get every bit, leaving just the hens pink, normal tissue. Use a QTip to get the cavity good and clean. Use the cuticle scissors to free any diseased tissue that is stubborn or, if it's really stubborn and you have a scalpel, use it. (We will pretend it's not really surgery)

Flush it out with Betadine or hydrogen peroxide and rinse. Then spray with the Vetericyn and then fill the cavity with triple antibiotic ointment.

Make sure her foot is dry and stretch a regular non-stick bandaid (1") over the wound. This is to keep the vet wrap from sticking to the wound. Take the vet wrap and lay one end of it across the bottom of her foot, and wrap it over the top between two of the toes, then around and over again bringing it between two other toes, then over again, and around her ankle, finishing with the rest around the ankle so it won't work loose when she walks on it.

You're finished! Unless her other foot needs doing.

In two days, take the bandage off and repeat the whole thing over again.

In another couple days, take the bandage off and see how the healing is coming. Repeat the process until her foot looks smooth and pink.

My hens healed very fast. In a week they were good to go, except for one. Her's was a stubborn case on both feet. But her bandages could come off after five or six days, and every night before she roosted, I sprayed her feet with the Vetericyn. That stuff heals like gangbusters! I can't praise it enough! You can find it in any feed store in the first aid supplies for treating all animals. I didn't find it in the chicken section. It was over by the horse and cow and dog stuff.

Hope this helps. Good luck. I would have kept the hen, too, and fixed her up. Welsummers are a most charming breed!

To set your mind at ease...bumblefoot is not something that can be passed from one chicken to another...it is due to an injury or a foreign object that has infected the foot,,,some chickens will get an injury from jumping down from a height ( especially heavy breeds )...the problem is a staph. infection...if left unattended...it can lead to death..not everyone recommends surgery...

I would suggest you look for alternative treatments if you do not wish to perform surgery....some advocate daily soaks in a warm water and betadine solution...and then after some days of this treatment they will use tweezers to pull the "plug" of infection and treat with antibiotic powder and dress the foot.

I personally prefer surgery...I wrap the chicken in a towel...cover the head of the chicken...and I talk to the patient throughout...once their head is covered..they relax...it can take up to an hour to complete the surgery...BUT...within two days of the surgery the chicken is so much better...change the dressing after 48 hours...vetwrap is great to use for the foot.

Whatever you decide...good luck!

Ok so I believe the badly effected foot may have been a crud ball here what followed:

Soaked for about 45 minutes in Epsom salt and betadine washes up the foot with a soft toothbrush

I tried to work the obstruction free for quite awhile but it just wasn't budging so I had to cut the webbing :(

even then it took a lot of prying and cutting the edges to get it free.
But it finally came out!

I cleaned it thoroughly and put antibiotic ointment on it and then a gauze pad and vet wrap.

here's the plug thingy that was on it

She fell asleep once this thing was removed and I did the small bumble on her other foot now she's chilling in her recovery room in the kitchen

For now her recovery room is a tote with a laundry basket duck taped to the top of it lol she's standing up find and gawking around and the commotion of the kitchen. Thanks again for everyone's help I couldn't have done this without you guys!

Last edited:
Terrific job! You've probably helped dozens of other people with the same problem who have been dreading diving in and doing something about it. Great documentation photos! People really learn and appreciate having great photos like yours to show them what they're dealing with.

Your little Welsummer is wonderful patient. Have you named her yet? How about Twinkle Toes?

The beauty of vet wrap is she can go outside tomorrow and back to her routine with no danger to her feet. The wrap is wonderful in keeping dirt out and allowing the patient to get back to normal right away.

In a few weeks, when you're looking at her brand new, smooth, pink foot pads, you will really, REALLY be proud of yourself!

A couple of years ago, I posted what should be an obvious item of care we should give our flocks. It had occurred to me that I was completely taking for granted my flocks' feet. I would venture to guess most people with chickens do too. We just think chicken feet are tough and take care of themselves.

I recommend regular foot inspections. I get down on my knees and bring the chicken toward me and with her head between my legs, I lift one foot, then the other, inspecting the bottoms as well as the toe nails.

I've found pebbles as large as a centimeter and a half lodged into the dimples between the toes on the foot pads. I've discovered early bumblefoot when it was relatively easy to treat, and nails that any amount of digging and scratching were not being worn down and were growing way too long for a chicken to walk properly.

Bumblefoot is a hidden disease. Often the chicken doesn't limp or act like her feet hurt. Only periodic inspections can catch these things before serious damage or even death occurs. I recommend it highly.

It really is down to you and your wonderful attitude...you have performed an amazing task...she will be so grateful for her new found healthy life with you...

I am so very happy for you both!

Congratulations...you are now a qualified surgeon!

Well done!

Back
Top Bottom