1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oh my, I found a new treat!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bearz, Sep 26, 2008.

1. bearz

bearz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    We are cash crop farmers. Of course, its harvest time and since we have a bunny my hubby brought in a bunch of cobs of corn for the bunny.

I threw a cob in by the chickens. OH MY! TREATS! They cleaned that puppy right off.

I hear people mentioning cracked corn but I guess it doesn't have to be screenings.

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Oh my yes!! Whenever we eat corn on the cob, we always give the cobs to the chickens. I don't know if they eat the whole thing or what, but we never see the cobs again!!

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    lol..mine love corn on the cob...they demolish it!!..i froze quite a bit of mine for them to eat this winter..i figure i'll nuke it a bit..get it nice and warm for them to have nice warm meal this winter...[​IMG]..Wendy

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Corn was sooo expensive in WA State this year. It's normally around 5 ear/$1 in peak season but the best price I saw was 5 ears/$2. So when my friend's hubbie found it 12/$1 I got $5 worth! The chooks enjoyed... no DEVOURED... the malformed ears. [​IMG] I canned the rest for the human inhabitants of my household.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by