Oh no, Bumble Foot! Bazilla and Blanca need help.

WannaBeHillBilly

Addict
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 2, 2018
Big Chimney, WV
My Coop
My Coop
Hi Friends,

i have zero experience with bumble-foot! Two of my White Layers, Bazzilla and Blanca have large sores on their feet which look like bumble-foot to me. On Saturday, Bazillas feet looked like this, left foot left, right foot right:

I was sure, this is bumblefoot, so i started her treatment with a warm Epsom-salt/Iodine foot-bath in a bowl. She didn't liked it and i looked like i was too slow to the bathroom. Then i used a bucket to soak her:

She hated it! Did you know that ducks can curse worse than sailors?! - Anyways after letting her feet soak in Epsom-salt, Iodine and poop for about 30 minutes i took her out, rolledwrangled her into a towel and started to treat her feet. First i cleaned both feet with a Sagrotan towel, then sprayed some Lidocaine spray on those sores. - Yes i know, everybody thinks that *caine is toxic to ducks, but that's not true and i don't want to see my duck suffer in more pain than necessary.
Then i took a sharp knife and removed the scabs from the sores, which was relatively easy.
Here comes the point where i get confused: The tissue under those scabs did not looked infected at all. In fact, when i carefully poked into the sore, to locate that »core of puss« of which i have read and seen in videos so much all i could find was tissue that immediately started to bleed. (Thank's to that lidocaine my duck wasn't experiencing pain!)
Is there a condition that looks like bumble-foot, but is something else without a puss-core?
I don't really know how to continue with treatment, the sores and wounds have been treated with triple antibiotics ointment - yes, the one with pain-killer(!) and a make-shift duck-shoe:

I repeated Bazilla's treatment for the last two days and today Bazilla had much more trust in me, here you can see her lying like a baby on my legs:

Her right foot looked much better than on Saturday, unfortunately i forgot to take a picture and the right foot still looks the same:

And again there is no puss-core! (???)

I don’t know the answer, but thinking of other, mammalian, companion animals, they can sometimes develop cellulitis, which, unlike an abscess, can not be happily drained away. I feel as though I remember reading that not all cases of Bumblefoot have a pocket/plug of infection. Yeah, one of your less helpful answers, I’m sure, but I wish you the best and hope that both girls recover quickly!

P.S. At least you don’t have to catch and treat Katherina?

Back
Top Bottom