A protein level of 14% is low for a quail. Oats are probably lowering it overall as they are only around 10-12%, depending on brand/type. You want to be closer to 22-28% protein. Adding eggs is good but I would try to find something else to add to the feed daily to get her protein levels up. Or you can try finding a different feed. I use game bird but turkey starter is popular too. Even a chicken chick feed or an all-flock style at 18-20% would be better. Meat bird is normally 22%. All of these choices would require you add a calcium source.

Are you sure the calcium is 20%? Not 2%? Even layer feed is only about 3.5%. 20% calcium will do a lot of damage to her kidneys.
Well, the feed MIX says that 20% of their food is calcium. When I put it in, its probably around 2-3% there. She gets all the calcium she needs. And the protien levels are fine, with the eggs and oats, I use Quaker Oats which are 10% and I live in the middle east, I don't have any access to game bird feed.

Last edited:
Do you use Al Jabor Grains & Feed Company? They should have what is needed. I know these things are a bit expensive in Qatar for stuff like this, but is it possible to order from one of the neighbouring states?

Do you use Al Jabor Grains & Feed Company? They should have what is needed. I know these things are a bit expensive in Qatar for stuff like this, but is it possible to order from one of the neighbouring states?
I'll try when the blockade is over with. Right now I'm sticking to canary feed.

Try draining one of her eggs and filling it with something she wouldn't want to eat (like rocks, but I've heard people using mustard because it looks similar to the actual egg). Put it in her enclosure and see what happens. Make sure you collect your eggs as soon as possible as this does get tempting after awhile.

Try draining one of her eggs and filling it with something she wouldn't want to eat (like rocks, but I've heard people using mustard because it looks similar to the actual egg). Put it in her enclosure and see what happens. Make sure you collect your eggs as soon as possible as this does get tempting after awhile.
Agh, she doesn't do it anymore! The diet is fine, everything is fine THERE'S NO PROBLEM, she just accidentally ate some. It has only happened 2 times EVER, I just wanted to make sure that it was fine.

I'm not worried about her getting enough calcium; I'm worried about her getting too much. Processing all that calcium can damage her kidneys. But I'm wondering if the bag is mislabeled, like they missed a decimal or something. I can't image a song bird needs that much calcium. They can't be laying that many eggs in a year if they lay at all in captivity. :confused:

Even if she isn't eating her eggs anymore, not feeding enough protein will put a strain on her body and may shorten her life. I get that you have to work with what is available to you but continuing to feed such low protein isn't good for her in the long run. I would recommend not adding the oats any more. They are lowering the overall protein levels. Keep feeding her the extra egg like you're doing. Some other options for adding more protein are dried or fresh bugs (mine love mealworms), fresh cooked or canned fish (watch the salt levels), and fish food. I don't know if you can easily get a hold of any of those but I highly suggest you up her protein levels as best you can.

Here. I don't even now what percent this is, but its shell grit which is like completely calcium. So mixed with all the other seeds, it's pretty small amount.

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-9_22-51-26.png
    upload_2017-11-9_22-51-26.png
    73.6 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom