Master Quaillius

Songster
Aug 26, 2017
no
My quail just laid an egg and started pecking at it, and then ATE THE WHOLE EGG RAW!
Is this normal? Is it mentally okay for the bird? Please let me know!
Here are some pics:
upload_2017-11-4_16-25-6.png

I put her back in her cage because she wanted more.
upload_2017-11-4_16-25-51.png

Usually it would be a sign of her lacking something - either the calcium in the shell or the protein and vitamins of the contents. It can also become a bad habit though, so you shouldn't let her do it. What are you feeding her? Does she get all the calcium, vitamins and protein she needs?

Is that meant to be a pie chart showing percentage? The picture is small and I can't zoom in. It looks like it's just showing what's in the mix. So it doesn't list an actual percentage for the calcium like it does the protein? My guess would be it's probably about 1-2% then so you don't have to worry about kidney damage. :thumbsup You'll know if it's not enough if you get any soft-shelled eggs. Or you could do a little experiment and give her some dry, crushed up shells on the side. If she eats them it means she needed calcium but if she leaves them she's getting enough. That's what I have to do with mine because my feed doesn't have enough for the females. I have a mixed flock and the males don't need high amounts so it's easier for me just to give it on the side and let the girls take what they need. I think it's cool how they 'know' exactly how much they need.

If the shells are a bit soft/thin and a toe nail goes through the shell it can lead to them picking at the egg and eating it out of curiosity. Waste not, want not - better they get the nutrition than a predator is probably the instinctive drive that's going on. Make sure they are getting enough oyster shell but sometimes a bit of stress will cause a thin shelled egg, so it does just happen sometimes.

This is what I do.. just in case you want to have a look at feeds etc.
First of all, I get the game feed.. it is usually 22% protein, 3% calcium or so. Second I buy calcium.. there are various kinds. I also collect all the egg shells, which are blended into very small bits. The last thing I buy is fish food. Something high in proteins.
Just play with the percentages and try to make sure you are on target.. be sparse with the calcium, as too much can wreck the animal's kidneys. If you want to be careful, just feed mealworms that have been coated. Oh, and I have a cuttlefish bone stuck to the side. They seem to like sharpening their beaks on it.

Back
Top Bottom