Have you ever fed her crushed eggshell? Either of her's or chicken eggs. It has a lot of calcium, and that could help with your problem. Eating eggs is fine, they really like the taste, and if you want, you could scramble an egg for her, and believe me, she'll love it! :)

Have you ever fed her crushed eggshell? Either of her's or chicken eggs. It has a lot of calcium, and that could help with your problem. Eating eggs is fine, they really like the taste, and if you want, you could scramble an egg for her, and believe me, she'll love it! :)
Yea, but the feed already has 20% oyster shell so calcium is no problem. She loves eggs, especially boiled but scrambled are a bit too oily, I give it to her as a treat every 2 months or so.

Yea, but the feed already has 20% oyster shell so calcium is no problem. She loves eggs, especially boiled but scrambled are a bit too oily, I give it to her as a treat every 2 months or so.

She's stopped eating eggs though, right? If she stopped then you shouldn't have to worry. :)

A protein level of 14% is low for a quail. Oats are probably lowering it overall as they are only around 10-12%, depending on brand/type. You want to be closer to 22-28% protein. Adding eggs is good but I would try to find something else to add to the feed daily to get her protein levels up. Or you can try finding a different feed. I use game bird but turkey starter is popular too. Even a chicken chick feed or an all-flock style at 18-20% would be better. Meat bird is normally 22%. All of these choices would require you add a calcium source.

Are you sure the calcium is 20%? Not 2%? Even layer feed is only about 3.5%. 20% calcium will do a lot of damage to her kidneys.

This is what I do.. just in case you want to have a look at feeds etc.
First of all, I get the game feed.. it is usually 22% protein, 3% calcium or so. Second I buy calcium.. there are various kinds. I also collect all the egg shells, which are blended into very small bits. The last thing I buy is fish food. Something high in proteins.
Just play with the percentages and try to make sure you are on target.. be sparse with the calcium, as too much can wreck the animal's kidneys. If you want to be careful, just feed mealworms that have been coated. Oh, and I have a cuttlefish bone stuck to the side. They seem to like sharpening their beaks on it.

Back
Top Bottom