Master Quaillius

Songster
Aug 26, 2017
no
My quail just laid an egg and started pecking at it, and then ATE THE WHOLE EGG RAW!
Is this normal? Is it mentally okay for the bird? Please let me know!
Here are some pics:
upload_2017-11-4_16-25-6.png

I put her back in her cage because she wanted more.
upload_2017-11-4_16-25-51.png

Usually it would be a sign of her lacking something - either the calcium in the shell or the protein and vitamins of the contents. It can also become a bad habit though, so you shouldn't let her do it. What are you feeding her? Does she get all the calcium, vitamins and protein she needs?

If the shells are a bit soft/thin and a toe nail goes through the shell it can lead to them picking at the egg and eating it out of curiosity. Waste not, want not - better they get the nutrition than a predator is probably the instinctive drive that's going on. Make sure they are getting enough oyster shell but sometimes a bit of stress will cause a thin shelled egg, so it does just happen sometimes.

Usually it would be a sign of her lacking something - either the calcium in the shell or the protein and vitamins of the contents. It can also become a bad habit though, so you shouldn't let her do it. What are you feeding her? Does she get all the calcium, vitamins and protein she needs?
I feed her trill canary food 14% protein which has 20% calcium and add to the 14% protein I feed her like 100 grams of oats to up the protein. I also feed her half a chickens' egg daily. She is very spoiled though, and will eat anything from my hand :D
And I'm keeping a close eye on her, to make sure any egg she lays is safely put in the fridge.

If the shells are a bit soft/thin and a toe nail goes through the shell it can lead to them picking at the egg and eating it out of curiosity. Waste not, want not - better they get the nutrition than a predator is probably the instinctive drive that's going on. Make sure they are getting enough oyster shell but sometimes a bit of stress will cause a thin shelled egg, so it does just happen sometimes.
The shells are pretty hard, to not break on impact. She really had to peck at it to get the shell to break!

Back
Top Bottom