OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by twincreekfarm, Jul 25, 2007.

1. nfldgoose86

nfldgoose86 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2013
    Ohio

Carney's feed mill in Batavia is great. Family run and very knowledgeable. Would highly suggest them. :D

2. popartrugby

popartrugby New Egg

May 16, 2013
    I just went to Louise feed and seed the other day to see what they had, because I am just learning about this awesome new hobby. And they seem to carry everything( they are in Batavia/ Eastgate ). But I have to hold off on putting money and effort/love into these adorable chicks, it seems that union twp doesn't allow it" from what I can decipher from the zoning lingo. If anyone is interested in helping me change this, I would appreciate it.

3. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    ive mixed my feeds since the second month farming. I used to mix 25 lbs cracked corn, 25 lbs layer crumble, some sunflower seeds, calf manna to boost the protein, oats when they got to fat.

It took me a while to put this together, but last fall my eggs started getting smaller, and less of them. about a month ago, I was talking to a couple other chicken farmers who were having the same problem. we had all formulated our feed with a crumble that the company quit making. we went to an above mentioned store and bought a layer crumble from them that was far less protein. we weren't aware that we had dropped our protein content in our feeds.

I started researching a good mix, starting all over. I came across this mix that is formulated by a poultry judge, and head of southern ohio poultry association. I have varied it a little from his formula to match my birds being in cages more. I am very happy with this feed, in 2 weeks we could see a change in the overall wellbeing of our birds. larger, and more fertile eggs.

if you let your birds free range, you wont need the high quality feed that I am about to mention. but this feed is also about $27 for 100lbs.

shrink this to match what you need, its best to have it mixed at a grain mill.

375 lbs cracked corn
    50 lbs oats
    200 lbs range bird pellet (24% protein) if you cant find this you can substitute hog pellets.
    75 lbs wheat
    50 lbs black oil sunflower seed
    25 lbs wet molasses

once a week we put in dried meal worms, one pinch per bird. we also add grass a couple days a week.

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  4. dollbaby769

dollbaby769 Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2013
    Hi! I am in Hartville, Ohio! I have 8 laying hens. I am in the process of fighting village council for the right to keep my hens. I called and got the ok from the village hall, but one of the neighboring property owners (which lives somewhere else) complained to the mayor. I am now in the fight for their lives! I have posted pics of my girls on my profile! I am selling my eggs for $2 a dz. They are huge! I have 3 barred rocks, 3 golden comets, and 2 buff americaunas.

5. OHfarmerswife

OHfarmerswife Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    Troy, OH
    Hey all I need some help!!!!!
    I have a hen who I think has bumblefoot.
    She is limping & has a black like scab on the pad her foot.

6. mlaff

mlaff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2012
    As promised here is the list of the lady in Indiana that I am meeting memorial weekend. Pm me for prices because some i will have to email her for due to i am only getting showgirls and silkies. I can pick them up for you.

7 bantam black Cochins
    2 bantam golden laced Cochins
    Tons of silkies
    5 black tailed white Japanese
    2 brown red oegb
    2 bantam Ameraucanas
    I still have 1 cockerel and 3 pullets that are the blue laced silkie Cochin crosses- they are fully feathered in and gorgeous!!
    7 showgirl cockerels
    1 showgirl roo

4 porcelain D'Uccles

The silkies and showgirls
    Older:
    I have three gray sg cockerels,1white sg cockerel, and 2-3 older straight run sg chicks... 2 partridge pullets, a couple black pullets, 2 black cockerels (1 with leakage around his neck and streamers),a couple white pullets, 2 white cockerels, 1 blue pullet.

Babies:
    Blue, black, white, partridge, gray partridge...some that are unique and I can't quite label them yet.

7. Fowl Menagerie

Fowl Menagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2012
    ohio
    I live in Darke County in New Madison, Ohio. I currently have a whole flock of Pomeranian Saddleback geese, both grays and buffs, Calico bantam cochins, Muscovies, various colors of call ducks and my project of calico Rosecomb bantams, sheep, dogs. and cats. Knock on wood, but I have had a very good year with the incubator. approaching 40 Pomeranians. Forgot to mention one pair and 4 baby Oregon mini geese.

8. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    sounds like bumble foot alright. clean the area the best you can. I spray water on mine, let them sit for about 5 mins, spray, wipe, and spray again. let it set a few mins more and spray and wipe again. this will soften the scab a little bit. I then clean the area again with iodine, and slowly pick the scab off with a needle from a syringe (22 ga.) sometimes you will see like a large white head pimple, open at the head point. some of the abscess is more than likely hardned. make sure you get it all out. wash again with clean water. I then rub some (single) antibiotic ointment into the wound that is left. make sure to put the chicken in a clean cage. some people say put on newspaper and that may not be a bad idea.

don't be intimidated by the surgery. its not hard at all to do, just be easy and take your time.

9. OHfarmerswife

OHfarmerswife Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    Troy, OH
    thanks for your help!
    Do you bandage the foot after?

10. cluckitall

cluckitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    Mansfield OH
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by