OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

there aren't many chocolate orps around here that I know of. im ashamed to admit I cant figure out what CCL are LOL. I don't have a "set method" for figuring my prices but I can give you an idea of where my prices come from.

I add the cost of my parent stock together, then figure the feed cost (4oz/day bantams, 8oz/day large fowl). I take in account how many eggs a week the hens should lay, and figure a hatch rate as a per breed basis. (cochins have the lowest hatch factor for me, low fertility if their butts aren't trimmed, very broody-so not many eggs)
  in one month of good laying your chickens should be able to pay for themselves in chicks. figure $0.25 for actual hatch cost - some people say more.

[COLOR=FF0000]example 1:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF0000]breed is white rock standard, medium quality. hen and rooster price is $10.00 each for breeder's stock. this will be a trio. I think of these as common birds, easily obtainable so price reflects this.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF0000]cost of parent stock          $30[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF0000]cost of feed for 1 month    $13    my feed is a special mix at $13 for 50 lbs. I rounded this up.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF0000]cost of parent stock is $46[/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF0000]estimated number of hatched eggs would be 4 per hen per week. or 8 eggs a week. for a total of 36 eggs (months I figure as 4.5 weeks) with the cost of hatching being $9.00.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF0000]total cost   $55 feed and hatching[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF0000]divide by number of chicks (36)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF0000]makes the price of the chick $1.53[/COLOR]

[COLOR=EE82EE]example 2:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=EE82EE]breed is lemon cuckoo orpington standard, high breeder quality. hen and rooster as chicks $20 + $7 yearly raising fee. this will be 1 rooster and 5 hens. (I got lucky on a straight run)  I think of these as rare and in demand birds. so I mark them up depending on rarity.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=EE82EE]cost of parent stock       $162[/COLOR]
[COLOR=EE82EE]cost of feed for 1 month  $26[/COLOR]
[COLOR=EE82EE]cost in parent stock       $188[/COLOR]

[COLOR=EE82EE]estimated number of hatched eggs would be 3.5 per hen per week. for a total of 18 chicks per week, or 8 chicks.  hatching fee is 20.00[/COLOR]

[COLOR=EE82EE]total cost is $208 for feed and hatching[/COLOR]
[COLOR=EE82EE]divide by the number of chicks (80)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=EE82EE]makes the chick price  $2.60  on these I don't offer wholesale and mark the price up to $6 - $8 because of demand/rarity. as adults I can normally get $50 a bird pretty easily on good quality birds.[/COLOR]

I also look at the normal market value, and price with the lowest price I can find as long as I can make money.  if I feel like the price is highway robbery I will mark them down sometimes for friends, with the agreement that if something happens to my flock they will help me re - establish my breeders.

Thank you. A CCL is a crested cream legbar. I fell in love with them when I saw the rooster. The hens lay blue eggs and thy are considered rare (but I see tons of eggs on here for sale.) greenfire farm sells them. I would up load a picture but I'm on my iPad and it doesn't let me.

My incubator is full to the max. I couldn't fit one more egg in it if I tried. Lol 29 squished in there total. Lol. The countdown begins. Love that I just turn the whole brinsea to turn the eggs. I don't have to open the incubator at all. Added my cream legbars this morning and not opening it again until next Friday or sat to candle. The temp has been constant since I plugged it in and I'm loving it. I keep telling myself 3 times a charm. I am really hoping I have enough I can sell some to get my isbar chicks and silkie eggs, well to help pay for them. My isbars are coming the first week in August.

Adams County here! About and hr East of Cincy! Just started raising chickens in April and we already are addicted!
welcome-byc.gif

I am from pike county. I am a fellow chicken addict.
did you buy the chicks or hatch your own?

My incubator is full to the max. I couldn't fit one more egg in it if I tried. Lol 29 squished in there total. Lol. The countdown begins. Love that I just turn the whole brinsea to turn the eggs. I don't have to open the incubator at all. Added my cream legbars this morning and not opening it again until next Friday or sat to candle. The temp has been constant since I plugged it in and I'm loving it. I keep telling myself 3 times a charm. I am really hoping I have enough I can sell some to get my isbar chicks and silkie eggs, well to help pay for them. My isbars are coming the first week in August.
fl.gif
best of luck, I think youll do better this time around.

:fl  best of luck, I think youll do better this time around.

Thank you. If ican keep my hands out of the incubator ill be ok. Lol I have learned a lot and I think the dry hatching and combination humidity may help me out a lot.

Does anyone know if to ship to Ohio if the person has to be NPIP? The isbars aren't NPIP and she is willing to ship chicks but couldn't find out if Ohio requires it or not.

Adams County here! About and hr East of Cincy! Just started raising chickens in April and we already are addicted!
It is very addicting! If you are anything like us you will want more breeds =) I am in Mount Orab so not far from you. What kind do you have in your flock now?

Does anyone have close happen to have a Polish hen? My husband only wants one because he likes the way it looks. Not sure if anyone can help me out with this or If I need to try to find some eggs next month.

Last edited:
Hello Buckeyes!!! I'm new to BYC in fact, I'm new to chicken ownership too! I'm from Piqua, just a bit North of Dayton! Glad to see so many other Buckeyes out there!! Looking forward to learning more about chicken ownership and everyone here!!

welcome to the group lellies chicks!
north of Dayton here.
started with my first chickens a year ago last April, yes chickens are addicting
Well hello! North of Dayton here too! Just starting with our first flock of chickens, planning on adding in a few more!! Glad to see someone close by!

Hello Buckeyes!!! I'm new to BYC in fact, I'm new to chicken ownership too! I'm from Piqua, just a bit North of Dayton! Glad to see so many other Buckeyes out there!! Looking forward to learning more about chicken ownership and everyone here!!

Welcome!

Back
Top Bottom