OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

have you ever been to Crum's on 41 south of you? its not non GMO (which is different from organic by the way) but they do have the wonderful bowles rangebird pellet. we have our feed mixed there, and the prices aren't bad either. I haven't looked into it but I hear they also offer distiller's grains.

I understand the whole "organic" thing, my wife and I started out on the same path. we have to many birds to be organic now - I don't think you can be truly organic with chickens. I have read up a lot on GMO's, Organics, and just farming in general. ive been reared around it my whole life in one form or another. I am also a "hippie" to an extent, I love herbal and homeopathic remedies, again I have done a lot of reading. as a rule of thumb; if a GMO is geared toward feed production, it contains no more "harmeful ingredients" than regular corn. the main drawback is lower nutrition levels with the same level of the "bad stuff". we have to feed more with GMO's to accomplish the same weight gain, and nutrition.

if you take your time, even using GMO's you can custom mix a pretty good feed. I am pretty happy with my mix that I use now. our chickens, turkeys and quail all eat the same feed, and are doing pretty well on it. at feeding time, there is a selection of whole and split grains, chicken pellets and alfalfa pellets. my wife and I looked and looked for a better feed recipe, before we found the one we use now.

Im probably the farthest thing from a GMO supporter, I do believe it has something to do with the bee population; and I don't think we should try and fool mother nature. - but ive been wrong before. im only saying this because its hard to sort through all the facts and fiction.

another thing everyone does wrong when mixing feeds, is to exactly copy someone else's recipe. most people on this thread probably keep their chickens in coops with grass, and seldomly move them to other coops. when they do; its usually for separation of a breed or illness. my feed mix is specially developed for chickens who don't have a lot of access to grass, they do get rotated to grass, but I keep all breeds individually. - because of this I had to add a second story to my pens.

Oh I'm sorry loveourbirds! I just found your post. I didn't think about crums! I'm not very good at finding the right "mix" for my flock. I've been mixing boss in with a little flaxseed when I have it. My friend has hers mixed here at Masters with these ingredients, but she orders about 80 bags at a time. I don't need to order that much and I don't have the place to store it. I use local mash and mix it. Also, my brown leghorn came from Murray McMurrays. I would say they were the dark brown, but I'm not sure. My 1 adult that I have left from my first flock, 5 yrs ago, is still going strong and she still lays occasionally. I ordered 3 more this spring. They are about 7 weeks old.

I have araucanas, speckled Sussex, cuckoo marans, red sex link, rosecombed brown leghorns, Egyptian fayoumis, blue andalusians, buckeyes, black copper maran, porcelain bantys, silver spangled hamburgs. I think that is all!!! All of them are hatchery stock except the buckeyes, and black copper maran. I bought the buckeyes off of a breeder here on byc, and the black maran off of "trash and treasure" radio program.
big_smile.png
There is a swap being planned in mt orab I believe on the 8th of sept. Check back on page 423 or there abouts. The info on particulars should be there.
WOW you have a lot of the breeds I'm wanting to get,does yours free range or are they in a pen??And I will have to check out the swap

They free range, but some of them stay in the lot. We have 2 chicken coops with the netted fencing. The oldest fence has 3 holes in which they go in and out. The newest fence doesn't have any holes and the 3 bantys stay in the lot, but the 2 araucanas fly up on the downspout and get out that way to free range!
tongue.png
I won't have any thing to sell or swap at this meet, as most of mine aren't laying yet. My oldest hen is a rosecomb brown leghorn and she still lays occasionally. She is 5. I only have about 5 laying now as they quit laying after my roo died about 6 weeks ago. They are starting to come back now, but that is another reason I won't have any thing for the swap, my roos are two young.
smile.png
Hope everything works out that we all can get together. It will be fun to meet and to see what everyone has!
clap.gif

What's happening from the N.E.? We live in Mahoning County up by the Pa. line in Poland , Ohio. We've had chickens for 3 - 4 mos. now and are obsessed. Looking forward to exchanging pics, ideas and experiences with you all!

They free range, but some of them stay in the lot. We have 2 chicken coops with the netted fencing. The oldest fence has 3 holes in which they go in and out. The newest fence doesn't have any holes and the 3 bantys stay in the lot, but the 2 araucanas fly up on the downspout and get out that way to free range!
tongue.png
I won't have any thing to sell or swap at this meet, as most of mine aren't laying yet. My oldest hen is a rosecomb brown leghorn and she still lays occasionally. She is 5. I only have about 5 laying now as they quit laying after my roo died about 6 weeks ago. They are starting to come back now, but that is another reason I won't have any thing for the swap, my roos are two young.
smile.png
Hope everything works out that we all can get together. It will be fun to meet and to see what everyone has!
clap.gif
Thats interesting and sorry to hear about your rooster what breed was he?and yes it will be fun to see everything

Quote: its fine - im married im used to being ignored
lau.gif

i have a pair of dark brown single comb leghorns you can have if you come after them. they are last years chicks and she has never layed. i wont sell them because i dont want to cheat anyone, if you want them and think you can get them to lay just let me know.

crumbs minimum is 250 lbs, or 5 bags. i have a little over 800 lbs mixed at a time. my birds are caged so my mix is different from what you would probably want, but we have about $13.00 a bag in it.

What's happening from the N.E.? We live in Mahoning County up by the Pa. line in Poland , Ohio. We've had chickens for 3 - 4 mos. now and are obsessed. Looking forward to exchanging pics, ideas and experiences with you all!
welcome, from southern ohio. send on the pics. i would post pics of all of my flock --- but.... i am thinking of posting a few of those in my mixed pen to see if you guys can help me ID them.

I haven't been on lately a lot to read through! Today was hatch day so far 10 chicks out of 25, getting a little better at this =)

Sept 7th is still a go for the swap, it will be at my house. Just to have a idea of who is coming and what they you plan to bring I can see if my dad will help put the word out on dial a deal.

My address is: 16776 Bodman Rd, Mount Orab 45154 if you want to mapquest to see how far it is. If anyone has any questions please feel free to send me a message. It sounds like a lot of fun to meet people and put faces behind names.

I haven't been on lately a lot to read through! Today was hatch day so far 10 chicks out of 25, getting a little better at this =)

Sept 7th is still a go for the swap, it will be at my house. Just to have a idea of who is coming and what they you plan to bring I can see if my dad will help put the word out on dial a deal.

My address is: 16776 Bodman Rd, Mount Orab 45154 if you want to mapquest to see how far it is. If anyone has any questions please feel free to send me a message. It sounds like a lot of fun to meet people and put faces behind names.
i plan on attending, and i promise i wont bring any more than will fit in my truck
lau.gif

did anything good hatch out for you?

as far as putting faces with names, at least most of you on here know im a guy. i guess because i have "love" in my screen name everyone assumes im a woman.

I'd love to come! I have true Araucanas (tufted, rumpless, from breeders and not feed stores/hatcheries) and will have chicks and possibly some adults to sell.

Kirsten

Back
Top Bottom