OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

If I can just throw something out there. If you usually put them in at night, you are likely going to get another lesson, this time probably from raccoons, that until you button them up tight at dark, each and every night this won't be your last occurrence of this type. I'm sure I'm not alone here, but has been many a time we have left things early, or run home at half time of school events to close coops. Hope this doesn't come off as preachy, just giving you a heads up.

I totally agree with this, we never open the coop yard until the sun is up over the horizon, and we always have them locked up as soon, or before, the sun goes down. If we can't do it ourselves, we have a neighbor do it. They never mind because the chickens put themselves to bed by the time the sun goes below the horizon so all that has to be done is a head count and locking up the coop yard doors. And yes, we learned the hard way. Coyotes taught us never to leave the coop yard open at night.

Nice! And when it snows does it collect the snow or does it fall through?

Very sorry for your loss :( We used this as well, kept hawks out for sure. This winter most of the time the snow fell through but during heavy snow and especially ice it sagged down very heavily, had to beat it from the bottom with a broom and get snowed on and the ice oh man. We added a plastic roof to our run a couple weeks ago to help manage bedding and waste, the straw sure did stink after the spring thaw so we now have nice try sand.

Last edited:

Sharing is caring!

Last edited:
Hello Buckeyes,

I have a question for the people that have, or had, their chickens processed 'off' site.
Where/who do you recommend?
I appreciate your input.
Thanks.

I currently have about 70 chicks & 10 poults available for sale if anyone is looking for any. Located just outside Cambridge, Oh.

What kind?

Mostly EE & OE, a few brown egg layer mixes. Most will lay ahades of blue, green & olive. I have some silkie mixes available as well. Turkey poults are blue slate & mixed heritage. Wide variety of colors.

We got lazy and forgot to collect some eggs. So... our silkie is sitting on several red sexlink eggs that will be crossed with a pure lavender ameraucana. We dont want any more mixes, so they will go in about 3 weeks when they hatch. They will be olive eggers. Never actually intentionally hatched out the eggs before, so have no clue as to how dark the olive will be.
But we do have some that have already hatched that we may grow out. So hopes up that it stays 4 girls and a boy!

We got lazy and forgot to collect some eggs. So... our silkie is sitting on several red sexlink eggs that will be crossed with a pure lavender ameraucana. We dont want any more mixes, so they will go in about 3 weeks when they hatch. They will be olive eggers. Never actually intentionally hatched out the eggs before, so have no clue as to how dark the olive will be.
But we do have some that have already hatched that we may grow out. So hopes up that it stays 4 girls and a boy!

Ohhh...maybe you are close to us? Maybe you could let me know if any are pullets and you don't want them? Please, no more roos though, lol.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom