OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Oh thank goodness you have em separate! I have read on a thread here somewhere you can mix some breeds of ducks with chickens I just need to find it again and write it somewhere.

That's interesting that some breeds are good with chickens and some are not. We've had the ducks about a year now and when we went to get them from TSC we also got 4 ISA Browns. Since they were little chicks and ducklings we kept them in a large metal tub in our basement under a heat lamp together. However, the ducks were so messy that the little chicks got rashes on their tummies. Since then they've always been separate. :)

I have always kept the Khaki Campbell and Runner Ducks in with the adult chickens. Can't raise the ducklings and chicks together, but a kiddie pool out in the run really helps.

Hi from Casstown Ohio. Miami County. I'm new to chickens and loving it!!
ya.gif

I have always kept the Khaki Campbell and Runner Ducks in with the adult chickens. Can't raise the ducklings and chicks together, but a kiddie pool out in the run really helps.

That sounds like a good idea. I don't know how well the ducks and chickens would take to each other now though.
Hi from Casstown Ohio. Miami County. I'm new to chickens and loving it!! :ya

Welcome and I'm so glad that you are loving chickens! :)

We keep our chickens and ducks in the same coop and it works just fine. The ducks tend to be very clique-ish and keep to themselves. They don't like the chickens, and they don't like us, either. :)

x2 on not raising chicks and ducklings together. Ducklings, though cute, are about the messiest little critters imaginable.

We were told TSC only sell straight runs? Reason we stayed away from buying from them here in Canton/Akron area.

My husband is the assistant manager of the Tractor Supply in Heath OH. They sell pullets and straight run. They get one shipment of pullets each week. It goes on for 10 weeks. They're usually pretty accurately sexed as far as the pullets go. They obviously come straight from the hatchery already in their individual boxes (pullets, SR) so the sexing is done at the hatchery, not tractor supply.
1f60a.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom